SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your amusement and comment (post or private mail).

The boat is a Catalina 320, ordered late spring 1999, and after a hurricane delay in delivery from California, the boat became mine in the dealer’s muddy, flooded out office at 411 Main Street at a temporary desk on September 11, 1999. I have enjoyed the boat, have had no serious problems, and am happy with it. The boat hull length is 32.5 ft., and most builders would have called it a 33. Beam is 11’-9”. Displacement is 11,700 lbs. Control lines, 11 of them, are led aft to the cockpit. The boat is one of a few that had “deep” wing keels, and has a draft of 4’-10.5”, which if correct, would be a draft of 4’-11” to nearest inch. There are 11 opening ports or hatches into living areas. And there are 11 major components to the standing rigging (stays, shrouds, mast). This boat replaced a 1977 Kells 28, which I owned for 22 years. So?

Over the years, a strange association with “11” has developed. I don’t look for it. It locates me. Eleven or multiples of 11 or digits totaling to 11 seem nearly everywhere.

My house number happens to be 511. And the house before that, 211. And the river condo is 110. My first job was paperboy at 11, delivering on 11th Street. My work career lasted 33 years., followed by early retirement at 56. Driving to work was on Hwy 11. Of investment properties, acquired along the way, about 60 percent had 11 in the address or were bought in years having multiples of 11. Just so you know, one buys investment properties when and where suitable properties are available, not for a certain address number. Even my social security number has 11’s. And my birthday, and my wife and son’s birthdays. My phone number. And names of ships that I was on in the Navy. And many, many more; most of which were things that I had no control over.

I enjoy fishing and have a Pursuit 1950 with a Yamaha 115 for that. I’ve always liked being near the ocean and a few years ago, my wife and I began a serious cottage search, with a very definite set of criteria…location, proximity to water, size, age, cost, condition, and a natural setting. In 2011, we found it. Just one, no alternates. A 22 year old cottage. The house number: 611….honest, we didn’t get it for the number. The fishing boat was to be stored in a storage yard near the marina ramp. At first, the yard was full, but a single space came open and I took it. The number: 111.

So there you have it…me, my boat(s) and eleven. It is a little strange, isn’t it? In numerology, 11 is a big deal, but frankly, I don't understand or follow numerology.

·
19,488 Posts
What's your sail number?? Hull number?? ;)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What's your sail number?? Hull number?? ;)
As you know, the hull number is a mix of letters and numbers. So how to relate letters to numbers? On the standard phone handset, there are letters shown on each number key. For example, 2 = ABC. When letters in the hull number are converted to numbers and numbers are summed we get:

55 or a multiple of 11 for hull number

Applying the same to the boat's name, we get 44, again a multiple of 11

The sail number is three digits and doesn't add to 11 or a multiple of 11. However, the sail number relates to a particular boat model (and hull number).

So, using the technique above to Catalina 320 and the sail number, the sum comes to 55, or a multiple of 11.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Looks like you have a severe case of eleventies. It is supposed to be rather auspicious. Just celebrate your boat on the 11th of every month and especially so in November. Songs such as 'Eleven bottles of beer on board' would be most appropriate.

·
Nauticat 43
19 Posts
There is a high probability of a grouping of unlikely random occurrences but a low probability of a grouping of unlikely particular occurrences. So, in your case, you will not be able to accurately predict when the next sailing-related 11 will occur, but, if you wait long enough and are observant enough, you will be able to add to your tale. Unfortunately, this means that you will not be able to use the number 11 to any advantage in Vegas.

·
At my Helms 27
71 Posts
I never fail to be amazed and amused how people's beliefs trump science. Or, give someone enough correlations and an apparent cause will emerge.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never fail to be amazed and amused how people's beliefs trump science. Or, give someone enough correlations and an apparent cause will emerge.
I only report the numbers. I'll leave it to others to interpret whether it means something or not.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Weird, but nice.
IMO people try to rationalize everything too much. I find that very limiting. We think too much and soak up the world around us too little. Weird is good. It wakes us up from this zombie like preoccupation with reason, order, and structure. :cool:

·
At my Helms 27
71 Posts
On the contrary, there are many examples in history where erroneous beliefs bring enormous heartache, injury and death to others. Re: my religion is better than yours and by virtue of my birth, I deserve more than you do, to name a couple.

·
Registered
23,842 Posts
“Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.”
― Albert Einstein, The World as I See It

or...... you're just nuts. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing is: We don't know what we don't know.

Science itself is ever-changing. It is more a method of discovery than a set situation or set of facts. At one time, science said the world was flat and if we sailors went too far, we would fall off the edge. And then, there was science that said the earth was the center of the universe. But later, science would say (prove) that the earth was only a small player in the universe, and clearly not the center.

Some beliefs can be either proven or disproven, but some cannot. Religion (belief in God) and even Numerology concepts of a spiritual world fall into that category where science, at this time, can neither prove nor disprove the concept.

As to all the elevens, I've just listed them. I attach no particular meaning to them and leave it to others to say whether they mean anything or not.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So why did I come to own that particular boat. Like many of us, somewhere along the line, I decided that I wanted a little bigger boat. Something in the 30-34 ft. range, that would have more big boat attributes, but still be easily manageable. As a matter of preference, I prefer new or like new items. You pay more and still have problems, but there is dealer support and problems usually are smaller in scope. 34 ft. was the upper range that my slip (already owned as part of the condo deal) would accommodate. I was clear that I needed a coastal boat, and there was no need to pay for expensive "bluewater" features. And to get the dealer support, there needed to be dealers within a reasonable distance. That means the boat would be a Hunter, Beneteau, or Catalina. And, with a definite money range available, I wanted the best value in the boat. And I wanted a boat that I thought looked good. Hunter styling at that time was not to my liking. Beneteau could go either way depending on the model. Catalina seemed to fit well. But I still was not sure whether to commit the needed money to this hobby item.

Around 1999, the Beneteau 311 was introduced at a base price of $65K. The boat looked good, and that was a price I could work with. So I started looking seriously at a new boat. The Catalina 320 was bigger and more expensive, but possibly in the range. Base price is not what you pay. When equipment selection and commissioning were included and negotiations completed, the Beneteau had increased significantly in price. The Catalina was still more expensive but much of the difference had been negotiated out. And I liked features that it offered, especially the wide side decks, interior, and layout. It seemed just a bit more rugged, with larger winches and standing rigging. So in the end, I opted for the Catalina. It had nothing to do with the number of 11's present.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts