SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The deed is done! The sale of Fairhaven, my Formosa 41 has closed, and on the same day the sale has closed on my sweet new ride!

Man what a process it was too! The new boat is the FOURTH boat I tried to buy. The first one, now known as S/V Terrapin (a new sailnet member) was bought out from under me 6 days before I flew down to see her. Then, the next boat was in poor shape and the owner wanted top dollar so we couldn't reach a price. The third, we took to survey and they tried to hide from us that it had been sunk! :eek: Finally, we flew all the way to Florida to find our new ride.

What kind of ride is is? Remember my 40ft pilothouse thread? Well, it turns out that a bluewater boat that sails well, is in my size and pricerange and has good visibility from a belowdecks steering station is a rare animal indeed. The criteria morphed, the mission creeped, compromises were made, and the budget increased.

In order to get the steering station, many of the boats I was looking at were motor-sailors, or even trawlers with sails.... I remembered that many of the good times in my life were aboard a powerboat, and while I love sailing, I think I'm more of a "boater" than specifically a "sailor."

Don't worry. I didn't go to the dark-side. :) Though I may well be a closet power boater. ;) In our search we ended up looking at Nauticats exclusively, and many of their motor-sailors highly emphasize the motor part, but they do have a line that is designed by Sparkman and Stephens, does sail better than the others, and the designs were originally commissioned for the Swan yard. So not a bad lineage at all...

The new ride is a Nauticat 40!
Sparkman & Stephens: Design 2301-C1 - Nauticat 40

My particular NC40 has a lot more in the way of "bells and whistles" than I'm used to. Lots of electronics, including a backup chart-plotter, 3 fridge/freezers a 6kw generator, lesurefurl in boom furling for the main, an electric winch for the main, and many other toys that I don't need. The toys weren't what sold the boat, the maintenance was! The boat was well maintained with the owner replacing all the rigging in 2009, doing lots of engine and other maintenance and upgrades. He even spent 15K on barrier coating the bottom against blisters before any blisters were even found!

There's the not-so-great stuff as well. She comes with this HUGE stainless contraption of a dodger/biminy thing. Everyone aboard on the sea trial hit their heads on the thing multiple times. You can't see the sails, and actually, you can't see anything at all! Why would you need an enclosure like this when you can steer from below??!!

Since I need to truck her across the country, I asked if they could leave the SS tubing contraption on the boat and just drive under a low bridge. ;)

Seriously??

And now, for the piece de resistance!! This boat came with a custom modification from the factory. The aft cabin was modified and the ceterline queen was removed (boo-hoo now we have a better and more cozy bed) and the extra space was used to create another small stateroom that was made, at the factory, as a sauna!

How.... Finnish is that?! Check it out, I'm not kidding. :)

Looking forward to having her shipped over here and taking her out for her first sail on our coast!

MedSailor

I guess I need a new avatar now for my SailNet profile.

·
19,485 Posts
Congrats Med!! Need the name so we can keep an eye out for you this summer!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Korvessa? Mmm, interesting.

You know that most finns speak swedish; they have two official languages: swedish and finnish.

And "Korv" in swedish means sausage. Ending with "essa" is a diminutive, feminine form.

Interesting, indeed. :)

Congrats. Nauticat are extremely well-built boats, friend of mine has one and it is like indestructiable.

Best

/J

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Korvessa? Mmm, interesting.

You know that most finns speak swedish; they have two official languages: swedish and finnish.

And "Korv" in swedish means sausage. Ending with "essa" is a diminutive, feminine form.

Interesting, indeed. :)

Congrats. Nauticat are extremely well-built boats, friend of mine has one and it is like indestructiable.

Best

/J
Hahahaha! :laugher My wife's going to love this, not only because she's a linguist, but also because I may have just name my boat, "small girly sausage." :laugher

We tried to vet the name well, and even spoke with a friend who is a native Finnish speaker. We believe it to be a Finnish idiom that means "in the wilderness" or "in the woods" and it conjurs up a reference to the finnish song "Maan korvessa kulkevi lapsosen tie, mut ihana enkeli kotihin vie" It is a religious song about kids being lost in the wilderness, but the angel is helping them to get home" Years and years ago many kids used to have a painting connected with these words where and angel was walking across the bridge with two small children.

Small. Girly. Sausage. :laugher I guess if we go cruising in Finland one day we're NOT going to Sweeden. :laugher

MedSailor

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,666 Posts
Congrats on the NautiCat! They are well found boats... The sauna is a little weird. It would make a great hanging locker.

This may also be a good time to rename the vessel...

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,666 Posts
I'm open minded. I could be into that kind of stuff. Hey, I got a sauna so I'm down for anything. :cool:

MedSailor
I wasn't going to post this, but in light of your post, may I suggest that you name her Aphrodite?

Reactions: MedSailor

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Pon-Pon, Pon-Pon, Pon-Pon...

This is sailing vessel Chick Wiener.

I just took an FF2 screamer into my sauna and I can't get up."

[CG breaks into hysterical laughter.]
You should be so lucky to die such a noble death. My epitaph will be more eipc than "he died in his armchair of complications of carpal tunnel syndrome."

MedSailor

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Great boat Med! They don't build 'em better than Nauticat. I see you being the envy of all the boats at the New Years trip to Princess Louisa when you announce that you're going to warm up in the sauna for a bit :)) Hope to see you out in the islands after it arrives.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great boat Med! They don't build 'em better than Nauticat. I see you being the envy of all the boats at the New Years trip to Princess Louisa when you announce that you're going to warm up in the sauna for a bit :)) Hope to see you out in the islands after it arrives.
Truck is scheduled for the end of June, with delivery to my neck of the woods circa July 8.

Turns out it's hurricane season down there (who knew? I'm from the other coast) so getting her home can't happen fast enough!

MedSailor

·
Passage & Delivery Crew
17 Posts
Congrats on the new 'cat! :)

Those are admirable boats!
I hope to get one in future.

Please share with us the expense of shipping to WA from Florida. And any issues with the transport of the boat of that size. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.