SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
It seems that boats unattended cannot be practically equipped for sounding off in fog, they were in a proper anchorage. The boat under way was responsible for proper navigation. It would seem that deviating into an area designated as a mooring area would constitute a failure to navigate in a safe manner. Wish I had my navigation rules book with me....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, but is a vessel not under command the same as a vessel without crew. If a vessel is in a charted proper anchorage and the vessel is unmanned, you would think it different. If my boat is secured to a wharf in the fog and a moving vessel strikes it while I'm sittin' at the house having a cold one, would the vessel under command not be liable. If unmanned vessels in proper anchorages were held to the sound rule, one would think the market should be awash with automated devices to place on vessels capable of responding to fog. either that or a flurry of dinghies headed out to moored vessels every time the fog rolls in. Besides in this particular case based on evident damage the dredger must have had parts extended, and maybe not secured proper as in the pic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts