SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Saturday is shaping up to be the day to be on the water sailing!!

Wind is predicted to be lighter Sunday and Monday.

Of course, it's been known to change!!

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,425 Posts
I am almost embarrassed to say this weekend will be our first sail of the season!!! We're hoping to head over to the Wye or up the Chester, not that it matters much where, as long as we get out. We had a lot of projects, some were a result of starting another (well honey, since we have 1/3 of the headliner down why don't we just replace it all...ok honey, that sounds easy enough...LOL), you know the drill ;)

A couple of little projects to finish Friday, then we'll head out early Saturday morning through Monday.

I'm looking forward to having a working depth gauge once again and getting to know my new sailing instruments.

The engine is no longer leaking fuel with a refurbished injector pump :)
(By the way, I have to give a big kudos to Arundel Injectors near BWI Airport, they were very professional, completed the work with-in two days after I dropped it off, and charged a fair price IMO, even painted the thing!)

No leaks with the new pennent and trough hull hose.

The hull looks great (thanks to Mainesail and his tips).

And lastly, I am excited to see how the new traveler works and the set up we did.

Give us a shout if any of you see us out there; S/V Windgeist, Tartan 37, blue canvas, white hull, dingy davit :)

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,948 Posts
I'll probably be heading over to the Miles River area myself. I always think that one should never head to the Miles River on a holiday weekend because of the powerboat wakes, yet I seem to do it way more than would make sense otherwise.

I'll keep an eye out for Windgeist. BTW, T37, was that you that I ran into and who actually recognized me in the new Whole Foods a couple weeks back?

Jeff

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,425 Posts
I'll probably be heading over to the Miles River area myself. I always think that one should never head to the Miles River on a holiday weekend because of the powerboat wakes, yet I seem to do it way more than would make sense otherwise.

I'll keep an eye out for Windgeist. BTW, T37, was that you that I ran into and who actually recognized me in the new Whole Foods a couple weeks back?

Jeff
Yup, that was me, you are a celebrity around these parts...didnt you know that? :) It was good to see you, if only for a quick chat. I was there checking out the Whole Foods Culinary Center they just added. We will be teaching some classes there, I'm doing on for fun on hand rolled pasta, should be fun, if it goes.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I'll be setting sail from Annapolis 'round about 10:30 tomorrow AM heading "Down the Bay" in pursuit of the Virginia Cruising Cup. This will be my first trip down the bay and my first really long distance race. I'll be crew on Nereid, a Tartan 40 in the PHRF B fleet.
Weatherwise, I hope something changes and we get a bit more wind than forecast, or at least an unforecast change in direction. Most any change would be an improvement to the light winds out of the south forecast for the expected duration of the race.

I think its going to be a lot of fun and will be a great chance to experience parts of the bay to revisit at a more leisiurely pace on our own boat in the future.

Bill
s/v Palmetto Moon

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Not my first sail of the season but I'm surely looking forward to being on the Chesapeake again this weekend. The Rock Hall Sailing Club will host a point-to-point race and group overnight anchor, destination to be determined on Saturday morning in order to take advantage of prevailing winds. Hail Rhythm sould you happen to see her...I'll be glad to meet you.

Fair Winds...MGM

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Our first sail of the season begins Saturday. We will head south for 10-12 days (retired) with stops at Crisfield, Onancock and Cape Charles municipal harbor. (We drag too much lead to fit into Kings Ck.) Warm, sunny weather would be nice, but not essential.

Cape Charles was a favorite stop, despite a "rustic", though very hospitable, municipal harbor. They are involved in a fairly major renovation of the harbor with 44 new floating docks planned. Maybe we'll find one or two ready & available for rent.

The town of Cape Charles is a short walk (across the RR tracks) and was a delight 4-years ago. In any case, we always find a way to enjoy time on the boat and look forward to it after 6-long months off.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The renovated Cape Charles Hotel was quite a nice treat last time I was there.

Our first sail of the season begins Saturday. We will head south for 10-12 days (retired) with stops at Crisfield, Onancock and Cape Charles municipal harbor. (We drag too much lead to fit into Kings Ck.) Warm, sunny weather would be nice, but not essential.

Cape Charles was a favorite stop, despite a "rustic", though very hospitable, municipal harbor. They are involved in a fairly major renovation of the harbor with 44 new floating docks planned. Maybe we'll find one or two ready & available for rent.

The town of Cape Charles is a short walk (across the RR tracks) and was a delight 4-years ago. In any case, we always find a way to enjoy time on the boat and look forward to it after 6-long months off.

Wayne
A small step into the past and a very comfortable way to pass a few stormy days.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We'll be out this weekend too. We've never actually been to the Miles over Memorial Day Weekend, so why not? Leaving tomorrow to visit a friend on Kent Island then on to the Wye to find our sailing club and then St. Michael's.

Mary Lou
Fretless
Rhodes 22
Rock Hall, MD

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
With my boat finally in the water and everything seems to be working I am going to spend Saturday sailing and maybe some Sunday. I have "projects" to go around home. Its a shame the weather brakes so good during the week and T-Storms for the weekend... Memorial Day weekend seems to always be a disappointment weather wise. I can remember too many Mem day weekends spent in the cabin listening to rain on the deck...

·
Sailor
934 Posts
Well this too is my first weekend on the water this season. Mandolin was on the hard for a month getting her bottom repainted and polished up. Regular off season maintenance and now she is ready to go! So are we! We are meeting our friends in Eagle Cove and then spending the second night up in the Bodkin. Not far distances but if the weather holds as predicted, we will spend some time just sailing around north of the bridge. This schedule leaves plenty of time for visiting with people who we haven't seen in a while.

From the sound of it, we will not be alone out there. There looks to be lots of other boats the forecast sounds like the weather will be better than the usual Memorial Weekend forecast as well. That will bring more people out. Let's hope the winds materialize!

Have a great weekend! See ya out on the Bay.

Tod

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
This is just awful, I'm gonna sound like such a snob ... but ... we try not to go out during holiday weekends when the Bay is so crowded. I'd rather anchor out on say, a Tuesday or Wednesday and have the Bay to ourselves. We're watching the madness from the security of our slip.

In any case, Dan starts sailing with the Naval Academy Sunday - local sailing for a week, then leading a Delmarva the next week - going clockwise LOL.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,431 Posts
Ah.. Memorial day weekend... hot dogs, burgers, sailing, peaceful coves and anchorages..... And 15 million powerboat launchings!

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is just awful, I'm gonna sound like such a snob ... but ... we try not to go out during holiday weekends when the Bay is so crowded. I'd rather anchor out on say, a Tuesday or Wednesday and have the Bay to ourselves.
I don't blame you a bit!!

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I'm heading to solomon's island on saturday, and will meet up with a friend on a big cat for a sail and drinks on sunday. Should be a good time.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Haeding up to Whorton Creek on Saturday and maybe Swan on Sunday of the weather looks like it will hold for Monday.

Last weekend replaced the holding tank, all new trident 101 hoses, new toliet, mascerator, and placed a ball valve at the out hose of the tank to keep the refuse in the tank until pumpout time and none in the hoses. The boat sure smells a whole lot sweeter.

Three weeks ago we replaced our batteries with 6 new 6 volt AGM Lifelines giving us 660ah (400usable) and a truecharge2 40 amp charger, and xantrex echo charger for the starting battery. All projects are done now except one, installing an new autopilot.

Its time to sail now. Will sneak down some weekdays to installthe device.

Chef, May see you crossing the bay.

Dave

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,425 Posts
The lastest & not so greatest...

Well the weather looks about normal for a Chesapeake Memorial day weekend, but I don't care, it could be snowing, there could be a boat every other foot...we're going sailing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anz500-232045-
424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009

synopsis For The Tidal Potomac And Md Portion Of The Chesapeake Bay

High Pressure Will Remain Off The Mid Atlantic Coast During The
Weekend. A Cold Front Will Approach On Sun...and Stall Across The
Waters Through Midweek.

<HR SIZE=1>

Anz535-232045-tidal Potomac From Key Bridge To Indian Head-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009todaysw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft.tonights Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft.sunsw Winds 5 Kt. Waves Less Than 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers Andtstms. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.sun Nighte Winds Around 5 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showersand Tstms.monn Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers Andtstms.mon Nighte Winds 5 Kt. Waves Less Than 1 Ft. A Chance Ofshowers.tuese Winds 5 Kt. Waves Less Than 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.weds Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft Or Less. A Chance Of Showersin The Morning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms. Winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE><HR SIZE=1>

Anz536-232045-tidal Potomac From Indian Head To Cobb Island-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009todays Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft.tonights Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft.sunsw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers Andtstms. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.sun Nightse Winds Around 5 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showersand Tstms.monw Winds Around 5 Kt...becoming Ne In The Afternoon. Waves1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.mon Nightse Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.tuese Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.weds Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers In Themorning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE><HR SIZE=1>

Anz537-232045-tidal Potomac From Cobb Island To Smith Point-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009...small Craft Advisory In Effect From 1 Pm Edt This Afternoonthrough Late Tonight...todays Winds 10 Kt. Gusts To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Waves 1to 2 Ft.tonights Winds 10 Kt With Gusts To 20 Kt. Waves 1 To 2 Ft.sunsw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft.sun Nights Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.monsw Winds 5 To 10 Kt...becoming N In The Afternoon. Waves1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.mon Nightse Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.tuese Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.weds Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers In Themorning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE><HR SIZE=1>

Anz530-232045-chesapeake Bay North Of Pooles Island-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009...small Craft Advisory In Effect From 1 Pm Edt This Afternoonthrough Late Tonight...todays Winds 5 To 10 Kt In The Morning...becoming S 10 Kt Withgusts To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Waves 1 Ft. Isolated Showers Andtstms This Afternoon With Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.tonights Winds 10 Kt With Gusts To 20 Kt. Waves 1 Ft.sunsw Winds 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.vsby 1 To 3 Nm.sun Nightw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers Andtstms.monne Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers Andtstms.mon Nighte Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.tuese Winds Around 5 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.wedse Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers In Themorning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE><HR SIZE=1>

Anz531-232045-chesapeake Bay From Pooles Island To Sandy Point-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009...small Craft Advisory In Effect From 1 Pm Edt This Afternoonthrough Late Tonight...todays Winds 10 Kt. Gusts To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Waves 1to 2 Ft. Isolated Showers And Tstms This Afternoon With Vsby 1 To3 Nm.tonights Winds 10 To 15 Kt With Gusts To 20 Kt. Waves 2 Ft.sunsw Winds 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.vsby 1 To 3 Nm.sun Nightsw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showersand Tstms.monne Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers Andtstms.mon Nighte Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.tuese Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.wedse Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers In Themorning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE><HR SIZE=1>

Anz532-232045-chesapeake Bay From Sandy Point To North Beach-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009...small Craft Advisory In Effect From 1 Pm Edt This Afternoonthrough Late Tonight...todays Winds 5 To 10 Kt...increasing To 15 Kt Late. Gusts To20 Kt In The Afternoon. Waves 1 To 2 Ft.tonights Winds 10 To 15 Kt With Gusts To 20 Kt. Waves 2 Ft.sunsw Winds 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.vsby 1 To 3 Nm.sun Nightsw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showersand Tstms.monne Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers Andtstms.mon Nighte Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.tuese Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.wedse Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers In Themorning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE><HR SIZE=1>

Anz533-232045-chesapeake Bay From North Beach To Drum Point-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009...small Craft Advisory In Effect From 1 Pm Edt This Afternoonthrough Late Tonight...todays Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Gusts To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Waves2 To 3 Ft.tonights Winds 10 To 15 Kt With Gusts To 20 Kt. Waves 3 Ft.sunsw Winds 10 Kt. Waves 2 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.vsby 1 To 3 Nm.sun Nights Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 To 2 Ft. A Chance Ofshowers And Tstms.monsw Winds 5 To 10 Kt...becoming Ne In The Afternoon. Waves1 To 2 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.mon Nighte Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 To 2 Ft. A Chance Ofshowers.tuese Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.weds Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 Ft. A Chance Of Showers In Themorning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE><HR SIZE=1>

Anz534-232045-chesapeake Bay From Drum Point To Smith Point-424 Am Edt Sat May 23 2009...small Craft Advisory In Effect From 1 Pm Edt This Afternoonthrough Late Tonight...todays Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Gusts To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Waves2 To 3 Ft.tonights Winds 10 To 15 Kt With Gusts To 20 Kt. Waves 3 Ft.sunsw Winds 10 Kt. Waves 2 Ft.sun Nights Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 2 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.monsw Winds 5 To 10 Kt...becoming N In The Afternoon. Waves 1 To2 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.mon Nighte Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 To 2 Ft. A Chance Ofshowers.tuese Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 1 To 2 Ft. A Chance Of Showers.weds Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves 2 Ft. A Chance Of Showers In Themorning...then A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.winds And Waves Higher In And Near Tstms.
</PRE>

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Now how does that Weax apply to the Gulf of Mexico?? :laugher

1 - 20 of 37 Posts