SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We finally got Elnora out of the slip for a short sail to Thumb Cove, Resurretion Bay. Awesome beat out to Thumb, pleasant evening at anchor then a run back to the harbor. Doesn't get much better.

Some video here. That light yellow coloring is pollen on the surface. No wonder my eyes have been itching!!

·
19,488 Posts
AWESOME footage, very cool and well done!

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edited the post to put link in to the HD version…not sure why it's no longer imbedded.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Excellent footage. :)

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Great deal! We just got the boat in two weeks ago and are finishing lake based shakedown. Then it is off to your neck of the woods. Glad you had fun!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Nice footage. Seward harbor sure has changed since I first saw it in the '70s. They still have a long waiting list to get in there?

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice footage. Seward harbor sure has changed since I first saw it in the '70s. They still have a long waiting list to get in there?
Wait depends on the size slip needed. 40' slips, boats 36+ to 45 are the hardest to get into, it took 4 years for us to get a permanent slip. If you're under 36 the wait isn't so bad, there are many more 32' slips in the harbor. I'm not sure but the over 50' slips are probably a bit tight as well…most taken up by tour boats.

They've made a lot of improvements, this past winter D dock was rebuilt so now only A thru C and we'll be all new and fancy….and paying for another moorage fee increase. :)

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
I left in '99 and still miss being there. Do you know if they've expanded Whittier at all since they redid the access through the tunnel?

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Nope, but they changed things lowering the number of total slips but increasing the number in the 30-40' range (by eliminating the 20-30' slips). Still about a 7 year waiting list to get in there and the mooring field still hasn't happened.

On the plus side that keeps about 500 boats from Passage Canal for those of us that trailer instead. Makes getting into west PWS much more of an effort and therefore a bit less crowded.

It took you all 4 years for your slip Dale? I didn't think it was taking that long, were you just moving around before then from slip to slip or was it like Whittier with no where to dock/moor at all?

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
You must really appreciate the changes in the Seward Hwy then MC.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It took you all 4 years for your slip Dale? I didn't think it was taking that long, were you just moving around before then from slip to slip or was it like Whittier with no where to dock/moor at all?
In all the time I was "transient" I was lucky enough to only spend 2 nights on a transient float. I was aggressive with watching for open slips and had friends that kept an eye out (that's how I got word of a slip open because a derelict had nearly sank in the slip). There is always someone on an extended voyage or on the hard for maintenance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts