SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - looking for a bit of advice (as usual!)

So I pulled the outboard out of the basement today to fuel and start it.

It has an internal tank and when I pulled that off to check it out……. Water came out of it.

Then I checked the spark plug – tip was rusty.

And then I discovered that I could not pull the starter cord.

Seized.

I am afraid water got into the cylinder and it has seized with rust.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can to to resolve this? I am not mechanically inclined and have never disassembled an outboard or even a mower motor before. But I am willing to try some simple things.

Like as in suggested in this video (and is the strategy used in this video reasonable?):

Cheers - jballou

·
Weekend Sailor
133 Posts
Had a similar experience a few years ago with a new motor. While no water in the tank, the result was the same - seized.

While I did run the tank dry for winter and bring it onto the boat, I did not use any fogging or other winterizing potions. Dealer was useless, not a manufacturing defect. Parts alone would have cost more than a new motor.

I am mechanically inclined, but time constrained. I put various oils, wd-40, etc. into the cylinder to attempt to loosen it up. No Luck.
Eventually, I took the old motor apart and found that the rings had rusted!

Bet there are a lot of unhappy owners of this cheap metal crap.

My solution was to buy a propane motor from a different dealer; no looking back! All i did this winter was pull the starter cord every couple months to ensure things are freely moving. Took 4 pulls for season's first start.

/ed

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try what the video suggests - but, yes - I'm thinking of propane as well. What engine did you get?

·
Sailor
923 Posts
I got rid of my little mercury outboards and gas and switched to propane and couldn’t be happier. 4 pulls on the started to pull the propane forward and you are running. I bought the 5 hp Tohatsu and a fiberglass tank.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Before I bothered, I’d want to know how water got in the cylinder? That could be a fatal flaw not worth fixing. Is there water in the crankcase or lower unit oil? If you meant moisture that caused cylinder rust, you can pull the plugs and soak the cylinders, via the spark plug hole, in all sorts of different potions: WD-40, penetrating oil, marvel mystery oil, etc. Try to get it to move, without reinstalling the plugs. Once you do, drain the cylinders (you may want to rinse them out with gasoline too) and change the oil, which will be contaminated. I’d change it a couple of times. Use new spark plugs.

Doubt it will ever be the same, so your thinking about a new outboard is sound.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking about propane a bit more.

Are marinas with propane refilling stations common? I've never paid much attention to that.

I'm in the Chesapeake but want to explore the East Coast more (north and south) and maybe Bahamas and Caribbean.

Thanks!

·
Master Mariner
8,207 Posts
I'd remove the plug, fill the cylinder with diesel and let it sit (full) for a couple of weeks. Then find a way to secure the motor and put a breaker bar with the correct socket on the bolt at the end of the crankshaft (usually the one the starter cord assembly is bolted to) and put that under a bit of pressure from a hydraulic jack. each day increase the pressure a tiny bit, making sure there's still diesel in the cylinder.
Either the rings will break free or something else will. Either way, the motor probably isn't ever going to be good again w/o a total rebuild.

Reactions: jballou

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I let it sit with 2-cycle oil in the cylinder for a couple of days. Pulled the fly wheel and was able to bust loose the piston after a bit of effort. New spark plug and it started up nicely (well, after I remembered to connect the cord to the spark plug).

I'll take it to the water this week and will see what has happened to my power.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Master Mariner
8,207 Posts
Update: I let it sit with 2-cycle oil in the cylinder for a couple of days. Pulled the fly wheel and was able to bust loose the piston after a bit of effort. New spark plug and it started up nicely (well, after I remembered to connect the cord to the spark plug).

I'll take it to the water this week and will see what has happened to my power.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
It might be a good week to buy a lotto ticket!

·
Master Mariner
8,207 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,207 Posts
I guess this is where air-cooled motors have their advantages.
Indeed.
However, I'd never go back to a 2 stroke. With the 4 @ cruising speed, about 25 knots, we can converse in a normal voice and even after a long trip, not have our ears ringing.
I did about 25 miles in my first inflatable with a Seagull OB and we were exhausted from the noise, afterwards. Great, reliable, easy to keep running, but boy were they noisy!

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Mixing oil and gas is out of my life permanently, if I can manage it.

Different strokes for different folks seems the appropriate thing to say. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts