SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Max, this is Fred. Do you remeber me?:)

I'm here to tell you that you don't need to be affraid of being on a sailboat when it leans. Leaning is very good for fun, I like it very much. Please don't be affraid, ok?;) I do it all the time and like it, and it is not dangerous.

The sailboat leaning is fun and normal, sailboats lean, because the wind hits the sails, to make the boat move but also inclines the boat, but it is not strong enough to turn the boat upside down.

If the boat leans too much we can let go the sail a little bit and it leans less, but also sails slower.
So remember, if you think the boat is leaning too much, release the sail sheet a little, OK?;) Ask your Daddy to show you where is the sheet, and how it stops the boat from leaning.

ok?No need to be affraid!;) :cool:

Also boats have thing that prevent them form turning upside down. Its called a keel, I show a picture of one. Big sailboats like your Dady have a keel that has a big big big weight (1000 times your weight), and it is under the water, when the wind hits the sail, the boat leans, sometimes looks like it is a lot, but it is not, and it stops leaning, but that keel will never let the boat turn upsidedown.:) ;) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Small boats like mine, don't have the heavy keel, so I sit on the side and doing that I balance the boat so it does not lean. In my boat I don't like it leaning because it makes the boat go slow, so I lean overboard to straighten the boat. See me on the photo.

I know a trick to help you, next time you go sail with your Daddy, don't sit on the high side of the boat. Sit on the side that is down and put your back against the seat. If you are still affraid, sit on the floor a liitle bit, then standup as you are not affraid any more, but allways on the lower side. Very quick you will see that the boat leans, but never turns upo side down, OK??

I wait for your message, OK??;)

Here is a photo of a keel, underneath the boat.

Here is me when I was 3 I allwys sit on the low side. Then at 4 I went already to the high side.

At 4 I was on the high side and grab to the seat. Fun...

My cousin was affraid of sailing but now she is not...she had no theeth:D :D

And bellow its me on my old sailboat. I have to seat on the side to help it go straight, you can lean back to help...make big muscles.

(This message was entirely written by Fred, corrected by me, and photos uploaded by me too. His ideas, his words, his photos, to help Max learn how to sail. Giulietta.)

·
Hitchin' a ride
3,191 Posts
Thank you Fred, (and Giu). Max is a little shy so he is thinking about what to write back, and reading your post over and over. Also, he is only with me Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. :) :)

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Giuletta-
Sailors lean when they are drunk. Keelboats never get drunk, so they never lean. They only heel. <G>

Which reminds me of the wonderful Marx Brothers film, "A Night at the Opera". Fred will very much enjoy seeing the film, tell him to watch for the scene where one of the brothers (Harpo?) is leaning against a wall and someone comes over and says "Whadda ya think you're doing? Holding up that wall?"
You know what is going to happen as soon as he moves on.<G>

·
Registered
696 Posts
OPTIMANIA said:
I know a trick to help you, next time you go sail with your Daddy, don't sit on the high side of the boat. Sit on the side that is down and put your back against the seat. If you are still affraid, sit on the floor a liitle bit, then standup as you are not affraid any more, but allways on the lower side. Very quick you will see that the boat leans, but never turns upo side down, OK??

Fred,
If Max's Dad has a boat like your Dads he might not want to sit on the floor since it appears from the pictures with your cousin that the back of the boat (stern) is open. He might be afraid he is going to slide into the water.

I hope Max learns to be as good a sailor as you are! Good job.

·
10,851 Posts
hellosailor said:
Giuletta-
Sailors lean when they are drunk. Keelboats never get drunk, so they never lean. They only heel. <G>

Which reminds me of the wonderful Marx Brothers film, "A Night at the Opera". Fred will very much enjoy seeing the film, tell him to watch for the scene where one of the brothers (Harpo?) is leaning against a wall and someone comes over and says "Whadda ya think you're doing? Holding up that wall?"
You know what is going to happen as soon as he moves on.<G>
Hey...give me a break, ok??? Its not my first language...besides fred wrote I just "corrected".....but noted the term....In Portuguese heel and lean are the same word, thus the confusion...

Fred wants to see the movie, as he is too young and he never saw them...I did and explained...now I have to look for a place here that might have those in DVD....nice...give him ideas so I spend money...

·
10,851 Posts
Pamlicotraveler said:
Fred,
If Max's Dad has a boat like your Dads he might not want to sit on the floor since it appears from the pictures with your cousin that the back of the boat (stern) is open. He might be afraid he is going to slide into the water.

I hope Max learns to be as good a sailor as you are! Good job.
Pam

On that photo, that was one of my previous boats that had an open transom. Bestfriends, is a CS34, thus closed transom, and Fred knows about it.

Good call though..thanks

·
&#9608;&#9608;&#9619;&#9619;&#9618;&#9618;&#9617;&
13,645 Posts
G-
You will be forced to spend money in the pursuit of heartfelt laughter with your son. Yes, well, things could be worse.<G>

'Heel' and 'lean' all the same in Portuguese?? Interesting, maybe we got one of them from Norse or one of the other contributors to modern English. No wonder we're so confused all the time.<G>

·
10,851 Posts
hellosailor said:
G-
You will be forced to spend money in the pursuit of heartfelt laughter with your son. Yes, well, things could be worse.<G>

'Heel' and 'lean' all the same in Portuguese?? Interesting, maybe we got one of them from Norse or one of the other contributors to modern English. No wonder we're so confused all the time.<G>
Nahhh...if he wants to laugh I tickle him....its free!!!!:D :D :D

Yes the word in Portuguese is "inclinar", means tilt, lean, heel etc. means remove from straight or remove from vertical.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
bestfriend said:
Thank you Fred, (and Giu). Max is a little shy so he is thinking about what to write back, and reading your post over and over. Also, he is only with me Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. :) :)
Hello Max, I know you sailed with your Dady, thats a good news. I know you now sit in the high side when the boat is heeling..like a real sailor. Did you like ? I like a lot. The boat is fun and the wind strong makes go fast, right?

I have pictures when I was on Pirate boat in Saint Thomas. With real pirates.

My father say pirate boat is funny, but not fast. I like Pirate boat. He likes pirate boat.

Look the pirate flag, but pirates are good, they give me sweets and juice.

Fred

·
Hitchin' a ride
3,191 Posts
Hi Fred,
I heard your message, and I heard what to do on the boat. And I sat on the high part of the boat. Somebody came over to the boat with me to sail. We motored around today, but that was today. Yesterday I took a big sail. I hope you have a good time on your boat. :) This is my Uncle Walker who came over to my boat to sail to help my Pop. I got to steer too, for a little bit. But, one time I got in trouble so I had to go below and play with my toys. I got in trouble because I climbed on the deck when I wasn't supposed to. :( If I do what I am told on the boat and learn what to do, I will be a really good sailor like you, Fred.:cool: These are pictures of our motor today.

This is Uncle Walker and my Pop

This is My Uncle Walker and Me.

This is San Francisco

·
10,851 Posts
Hello Max...this is Fred's dad..I heard from a bird that you are being a very brave man...going on the high side....I see you are having fun, too.

I see your photos, too..your uncle looks funny with that hat....

Any way, Fred was happy to talk to you...he told me he capsized twice yesterday because he was not paying attention...he likes that, too.. I think he is silly.

Allways wear your life vest so you float. OK?? Nice talking to you.. I am proud of you.

Fred's Dad...

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
10,318 Posts
Hi Fred,
We've been hearing alot about you from your papa and I thought I'd drop you a line.
My daughter is 18 years now, but when we bought the boat, a 21' Cal, she was twelve. After the first year she decided she didn't like the boat because it wouldn't tip over. She said that was no fun. She wants a small sunfish she can tip over. I think she is just scared. When the boat gets heeled way over she thinks it's going to tip over and sink! And, if that happens, she'll get her hair wet and have to swim two miles to shore. Silly girl, huh? Her mama relly likes it when it heels over. In fact, she likes it too much! She's crazy! I'm the only boy in my family, so maybe I am going crazy too! I know I have to do all the work on the boat. Maybe I can send my daughter to Portugal and she can sail with you in your Opti. Do you need a crazy big sister? Can your papa pay for her college?

Where I sail all we have is fresh water; no salt! We have five big lakes that seem like the ocean when you are on them-but they are fresh water. We also have alot of smaller lakes to sail on. I'm in Michigan and it seems like there is a lake every ten miles. Some are not really big enough to sail on, but they all have good fishing. Do you like to fish?

Our boat's name is Emily Marie. It is named after our daughter. I think we should have named it after the dog. His name is Mac. I'm thinking that might not be a good boat name. What do you think?

I look forward to hearing more from you-I like your pictures.

Your friend,
Captain Sailaway

ps
If your papa can afford the college, I will send you a big sister.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Giulietta said:
Bem escrito querido filho. O papa tem muitas saudades tuas e do mano. Toma conta da Mama.

Papa
Dang....that Alta Vista translator never works worth a crap for Portugese...

"Written well wanted son. The Pope
has many homesicknesses yours and of I flow it.
It takes account of Mama."

·
10,851 Posts
Pamlicotraveler said:
Dang....that Alta Vista translator never works worth a crap for Portugese...

"Written well wanted son. The Pope
has many homesicknesses yours and of I flow it.
It takes account of Mama."
ehehehe

It actually means:

Well written dear son. Papa misses you and your brother, too. Look after mum.;)

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Giu-

Hey, did Fred push you overboard like I requested???

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Fred-

You can like your father and still push him overboard... ;)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Gui...I couldn't figure out why the Pope got homesick when he went sailing.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts