SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there to all the old salts!

I fell in love with sailing a year ago when I took my Boy Scout Troop to the Bahamas for a High Adventure Sea Base Experiance. I joined the military not long after. I am now stationed in sunny San diego and my love has been rekindled.

I am currently helping a friend of mine restore a 50' world cruiser that is in need of som TLC. our hopes are to have it seaworthy in time for a trip to Catilina Island Laborday weekend.

As for me. I hope to get myself a liveaboard sailboat in the future (year or so). I think that it would be a wonderful way for me to live. and fit my lifestyle rather well.

so my big question is, where do I start?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've never been to San Diego, but I was stationed in NC and the base ran its own marina. The rates were dirt cheap for military personnel and I had a friend who bought a sailboat with a VA mortgage. He lived on it while he was stationed there. He saved money by not paying property taxes. You should have no trouble finding a suitable boat where you are. I'd recommend spending most of your free time at the marinas, crewing and listening. You never know what you'll find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts