SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my 95 yanmar 3jh2e. It has just 1750 hours. I have taken heat exchanger/exhaust manifold off and can see small metal particles in the exhaust ports for 2 cylinders. With the most bits in farthest aft cylinder less in the next forward and none in the forward cylinder. Engine seemed to be running well. However previous owner had raw water hose to elbow fail and pump seawater over engine. I pulled engine to refurbish and address electrical and rust issues. Anybody know what this might mean, how serious it is? Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Are they shiny silver shavings? Rusted? Black soot? If you're certain they're metal, they could be a number of things, none good. Have you done a compression test recently?

Reactions: skipmac

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
375 Posts
Until you better identify what they are it's hard to say. Could be really serious like bits of rings, bearings, piston, valves. If you can get samples, depending on what they are, you could do a metal analysis and very possibly determine if they're bits of valves or the head or rings or?

Compression test might narrow down the options. I would also look in the oil to see if there are particles there. Does your engine have a magnet in the drain plug?

If all the above fails it might be time to start taking things apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have pulled the engine out the first thing to do is get a look in the combustion chambers - either take the head off or pop a camera in through the injector holes.
If it’s suffered an overheating event uneven cooling may have been different front to back so back pistons may have started to gaul against the liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
375 Posts
If you have pulled the engine out the first thing to do is get a look in the combustion chambers - either take the head off or pop a camera in through the injector holes.
If it’s suffered an overheating event uneven cooling may have been different front to back so back pistons may have started to gaul against the liners.

This would be an excellent, cheap, easy and non destructive test. Might be time to buy a borescope camera. They aren't that expensive anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks to all for your input. I will go ahead and check oil filter. The small pieces are steel and I removed even the smallest with magnets. As so often happens while going to sleep and thinking of the problem I remembered that I had to cut the exhaust riser to get it off and be able to hoist the engine out. Today examining the exhaust manifold I found a small pile of shavings and my guess is finer bits traveled to the first two ports. I think I'm good. Onward. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts