SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

methods of recovering a morgan 25 1967

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  50merc 
#1 ·
I have taken ownership of a 1967 morgan 25 with an interesting hitch. The boat is on its starboard side in a sideyard pointed downhill on slight incline(3/12) under cable lines(moveable) and a power line about 7 feet above the hatch but directly above the cockpit.
A tree company will lift the boat with a crane after it is out from under the power line so Either dragging with a strong mooring bolt and tow straps wrapping around the stern; both attached to a truck and as many hands as possible pushing. My concerns with are with the pressure points(mooring bolt, deck edge) and will they distribute evenly enough not to harm the boat.
Or
Two 2x12x12 beams cut to the concave of the two lowest accessible points fore and aft allowing room for a jack and blocks on both sides. Some padding on the cut and jack it high enough for a flat trailer to pull under. I like this method but i would like to make these beams one time with the boat upright for future ease on and off a trailer.
Will righting the boat by strapping perpendicular to a blocked keel, attaching to a truck, and pulling until level and secured with jackstands create too much pressure on the decking edge bolts and glass?
Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Drew

See less See more
#2 ·
Source a half dozen long wooden rollers, such as 8' sections of telephone poles, you might try some working boat yard. Jack uo the bow of the boat and slide several rollers rollers underneath, perpendicular to the intended direction travel. jack up the stern, repeat the process. Push hard in the intended direction of travel, recycling the rollers.

Take a look at videos of ship launchings.

#3 ·
If you can get a hefty pickup, maybe a one ton or better, load it up so it has traction, I'd bet it'll drag the boat if you can get something slippery under it. Thick old carpeting might work. Be careful having anyone around a strap that might let go. Do it without "pushers" in the way of a snapping strap/rope. The roller idea is a good one as well, although you might want to try to pad them too with some old carpet. If there is a local guy with a pc. of equipment like a small dozer or a large hoe, it might be worth paying him to drag it out.

#6 ·
i just saw on discovery channel where some guys moved a log cabin several miles using logs as rollers .
i have moved a 6'x14' shed across my property using 2" pvc rollers and a pick up truck to drag it . you could use a hose to connected to pvc tube to wash out the ground enough to slide the rollers under .

check with a farm supply store for round fence posts as rollers
i would get a couple of nylon tow straps and anchor it in place so it cant slide down hill while you get it on the rollers .. have you inspected the down side for damage from the inside ?

#8 ·
I would jack the boat up and lay down plywood underneath it. I would use butcher block wax/soap on the wood. The boat should slide fairly easily. Plywood would hold up better then thin luan board. Just lay out a few sheets ahead of it and hop scotch the sheets so you wont need as many. You will be surprised how the wax helps it slide. As for harnessing to it. You need to pull from multiple points A good quality 3/4'' rope should work. I would wrap aound the keel and all the cleats to one pulling point. The boat only weighs a couple of tons a decent truck or tow truck with a winch will work as a pulling power.

#9 ·
I keep thinking the plywood and slide with full straps will work nicely However if the grass and underlying soil are even textured without significant rocks I'd wet down the area just under her to lubricate the initial slide and not be too concerned about plywood.....which after all could create as much damage as ordinary turf. Have you checked the hull out well already? Check under the starboard quarter bunks and the forward bulkheads where they meet the bilge. Also above that where the chain plates are attached. If she's had water sittin in her for any time you likely have some work to do. Its a great boat, I have a 67/8 and love it dearly....all it takes is love and money!

#10 ·
Pay the power company to come in and move the lines out of the way temporarily - it's done all the time when movers have huge loads, like houses - they take the lines down and put them back when the load has passed.

Then the crane can pick the boat up with slings and roll it upright. The whole thing should only take an hour or two.

Moving it Egyptian style works but it will be almost certain to cause damage to one extent or another.

P.S. the latest issue of GOB has a story about a restoration of that boat.

Reactions: blissfull
#11 ·
The cost to move the power lines will probably exceed $2k. I move large industrial for my day job. I even moved the Liberty Bell. But we didn't slide that on plywood. It will slide fine on plywood, would do more damage then what has already been done by laying on its side. Sliding on grass would work also but the plywood will add support and spread the load out. I have slid 200 ton turbine generators on wax./soap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.