SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows where I might be able to buy metric sized clevis pins? I am looking specifically for 10mm. Retail place would be preferred (custom is always an option but usually pricey).
If you know of any stores selling them online in Europe - that'd work too.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thats's the thing - these are not really metric. They are actually 3/8" which is quite close to 10mm but a little smaller. They will "work" but they do not provide as nice a fit as a real metric 10mm would. In particular for the forestay top fitting I'd really like to get a proper size to increase strength and avoid point loading.

I just tried a 3/8" and it is clear that it is smaller than 10mm - by a tiny amount but enough so that it is lose in the fitting and definitely loads just the center. 3/8" is 9.52mm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thats's the thing - these are not really metric. They are actually 3/8" which is quite close to 10mm but a little smaller. They will "work" but they do not provide as nice a fit as a real metric 10mm would. In particular for the forestay top fitting I'd really like to get a proper size to increase strength and avoid point loading.

I just tried a 3/8" and it is clear that it is smaller than 10mm - by a tiny amount but enough so that it is lose in the fitting and definitely loads just the center. 3/8" is 9.52mm.
Unless you have a press fit pin (which you wouldn't want in a clevis), you are going to have "point loading".
The shear strength is the cross sectional area of the pin ( Pi X r X r ), doubled for a clevis pins two contact points.
Lessening the diameter of the pin to 3/8" reduces the effective shear strength by 10%. I was surprised that only .019" reduction in diameter reduced the strength by that much...especially since I ran the numbers thinking the change in size would result in less than 5% strength.

Good luck finding the pins you need - I would think they'd be easier to find
outside of the U.S.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Belliure 41'
136 Posts
I just asked my rigging guy, here is his response; "If you locate metric clevis pins could you also pick up a left handed screwdriver for me?"

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lessening the diameter of the pin to 3/8" reduces the effective shear strength by 10%. I was surprised that only .019" reduction in diameter reduced the strength by that much...especially since I ran the numbers thinking the change in size would result in less than 5% strength.
sounds reasonable. strength is a function of cross-section which is a square function of radius (or diameter), so 5% less diameter is 10% less crossection -> 10% less strength.

Good luck finding the pins you need - I would think they'd be easier to find
outside of the U.S.
I think so too. I was hoping someone (perhaps a non-US member) would be able to point me to their local site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts