SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,617 Posts
Reaction score
Come on! Have a little imagination - it's a boat, things go wrong all the time, even when you've prepared properly. Ever carry a rigging knife on you when you sail? Besides, it's the size of a thin paper back book - for that kind of insurance (and if it works) I'll make room by taking out one of the 10 hand towels my wife keeps in the head and tuck it away there.

Even if we didn't need it, might be nice to lend a hand to someone who didn't design & install a reliable electrical system, house bank and reserve, and left the extra stuff at the dock.
If you want it that much, just buy it. Don't belabor the issue by asking for advice that you won't follow. Just post a follow-up to let us know if it works as advertised.

FWIW, I have a more traditional automotive jump starter like this:

It's based on more traditional SLA battery technology. With proper topping off, it's lasted me almost 10 years (before I had my boat) and still works great. I keep it around the house, but take it on the boat if I'm cruising for a few days. For me it's no big deal if my battery goes dead - I just pull the cord on my outboard. But the jump starter gives more reliable startups on my CPAP than my boat batteries. I think the SLA battery delivers the high startup amperage without losing voltage like flooded batteries. So I always take it along for overnights.

I also always take it for my motorboat, where a dead starter battery is much more debilitating. It has saved me a couple times on that boat.

My model was discontinued. This one is currently available, though it lacks the built-in compressor (which is totally worthless anyway):

Amazon.com: Vector VEC010S 300 Amp Jumpstarter: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51o3DKl6CiL

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.