SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with an old GPS and could use some help solving it.
My old Micrologic Mariner GPS doesn't seem to lock on to satelites. It tells me that five sats are available but won't lock on to any. I have elec.continuity between mushroom antenna and unit. The original owner had it tied into a Loran C system. I replaced the Loran with a new Garmin GPS 545 and would like to keep the old GPS for redundancy. The old Micrologic worked well until it was disconnected from the Loran. Could it be that the antenna just quit or iss it a more involved problem. If it's the antenna does anyone know where I can locate a replacement and/or will a newer antenna work? I'm not the most technically oriented guy on the block and electronics drive me nuts.
Responses are much appreciated.
TIA,
Bob M-J
S/V Osprey

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The problem may well be that they added a satellite to the GPS constellation and the new satellite is causing the old GPS, which has no idea what that satellite is doing up there, to fail. There was a firmware upgrade for a lot of the more recent GPS units, but I doubt that one is available for your old Micrologic unit.

See this related story.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts