SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Beyond The Pale
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a smallish Beneteau, and I would like a smallish Microscope to go on her.
The American Optical Stereoscopic that I use at home is entirely too large and heavy, and is roughly the same age as I am, so it is pretty old.

So what do you Folks like?

The Chinese ones that have come on the market recently seem to get good reviews, but what one reads blindly in the Internet is not to be trusted.

400x is fine, Stereoscopic would be great, but Binocular is good enough.
I've already sussed out the 12V Monitor issue, so Digital is a must, because my old Eyes are no longer to be trusted either. Megapixels aren't as important to me as sensitivity, dynamic range, noise floor, and spectral range are.

I'm mainly interested in taking E Coli counts, seeing just what new and interesting is growing on the Hull, and Research. About that last bit- a Light Source of between 0.3 and 15 KeV would be a bonus. I had one at work before I retired, but I understand that they aren't commonly available yet.

Erindipity

·
Master Mariner
8,986 Posts
I can't wait to see the answers to this post!

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Just squint real hard and stuff will eventually come into focus.:laugher

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I'm assuming you're too much of a purist for this idea, but I saw versions of this at the American Telemedicine Conference in Baltimore this year. It was impressing the dermatologists, so don't write it off too quickly. ;)

For the rest of us who are curious about small crawly things, or want to do some science for our kids homeschooling, it might work quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMTkr_aiYU

·
19,488 Posts
Awesome, Med! Very cool indeed....

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I bet if you were to use a jeweler's loupe instead of a lense from a laser pointer you could get REALLY good results.

MedSailor

·
Beyond The Pale
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is just a little bit of fun on my part...

But then, there, right there, is your Spike Africa quote.
You played Spike Africa.
I raise you:

Nils Anderson

Although he isn't quite the Legend that Spike was locally, Nils was a Good Friend of mine, and he was a fountain of Seafaring Knowledge.
He told me the True Story of what a Dollymop was.

Is anybody interested in the story? Go ahead, Google the hell out of it.

I checked; it isn't there yet, although there is a whole lot of delightful, and uninformed, speculation.

Meanwhile, I really want some firsthand experiences with Microscopes At Sea. I think that a cast Aluminum frame would be best; how to seal the Verniers would be an issue. Tantalum, Titanium, or Tungsten would be best for those; no sealing needed.

Erindipity

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I believe I was looking at diesel bug examples, for an article. But I've also used it for examining pitting due to corrosion, fermented winterizing PG, counts in drinking water, and stuff growing on water filters.

And stuff from my daughter's plankton nets and such.

Fun, actually.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I bet if you were to use a jeweler's loupe instead of a lense from a laser pointer you could get REALLY good results.

MedSailor
Ok I think I will order this:

and make one. This is just too cool not to. Sounds to me like a great winter project.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have always been a fan of Swift, but the digital sensor and display is something I never looked for. You should be able to get it as a stand alone add on to any scope. If you want the digital screen and optical viewing simultaneously you just raised the bar and price. Now I am going to have to look into high resolution cameras for optical systems.

·
Barquito
3,657 Posts
With the smartphone 'scope, does it matter what shape lens in used? I don't know anything about lens elements, but, I think the laser pointer is a 'collumating' lens if I read google correctly. Presumably the hand held magnifiers are convex.

·
Beyond The Pale
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe I was looking at diesel bug examples, for an article. But I've also used it for examining pitting due to corrosion, fermented winterizing PG, counts in drinking water, and stuff growing on water filters.

And stuff from my daughter's plankton nets and such.

Fun, actually.

That's just the response that I was hoping for.
Is that an OMAX?

How would you rate the construction?
Is the Optical Field reasonably distortion free, and free from my personal bugaboo, Chromatic Aberration?

Thanks very much;

Erindipity

·
Registered
545 Posts
The price on the OMAX is stellar. The Swift I looked at (research grade) was 1,500. In the past when I looked at other manufacturers of research grade microscopes Swift was competitave. At the price OMAX is asking you could afford to use it as a weight on your anchor line if you can't use it. All the adds describe an at least adequate instrument, however all the reviews look like sellers adds.

I have never touched one.

Even the decent used student swift Monoculars on e bay cost 200$

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Ok I think I will order this:

Amazon.com: 30x And 60x White Loupe With Led Lights: Everything Else

and make one. This is just too cool not to. Sounds to me like a great winter project.
It sure does doesn't it?

With the smartphone 'scope, does it matter what shape lens in used? I don't know anything about lens elements, but, I think the laser pointer is a 'collumating' lens if I read google correctly. Presumably the hand held magnifiers are convex.
Barquito likely has a good point. The focal point of the loupe is likely going to be a few inches from the lense. The camera is put right on top of the laser pointer lense.... For a couple dollars, it's worth trying though. Besides the loupe could be carried around for quick inspections of interesting things before the specimen is put on the full rig.

Let us know how it goes.

MedSailor

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
It sure does doesn't it?

Barquito likely has a good point. The focal point of the loupe is likely going to be a few inches from the lense. The camera is put right on top of the laser pointer lense.... For a couple dollars, it's worth trying though. Besides the loupe could be carried around for quick inspections of interesting things before the specimen is put on the full rig.

Let us know how it goes.

MedSailor

Well I just pulled a lens out of a CD\DVD drive at work, will play with it since it is free. folks are reporting good results. Another lens to use is supposed to be good are the lenses out of disposable cameras and you can often get them free from the developers.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
That's just the response that I was hoping for.
Is that an OMAX?

How would you rate the construction?
Is the Optical Field reasonably distortion free, and free from my personal bugaboo, Chromatic Aberration?

Thanks very much;

Erindipity
A Chinese knock off of a Lieca from Ebay, about 25 years ago. I still see them listed for less than $200. Quite good for the price. I got for the home, for my kid to learn with and for fun. I like that I can take it into the field without concern.

There's lotsa cool stuff listed, some of which are knock-offs. Take a chance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts