SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the apparent dirth of these on the market, I'm going to guess that the type of boat I think I want has not been popular with a mass market. I'm OK with that.

Probable use: daysailing for singlehand thru 6 adults, enough cabin to let kids get out of the sun or use the head/port-o-pot, lakes/bays/protected waters, try my hand at PRHF racing (preferably with spinnaker), trailerable a plus; bigger is better for wife, friends/family and kids as passengers

Other: used; do not mind hands-on maintenance but do not want a wooden hull; sit in not sit on; prefer sloop and cutter, do not prefer (sorry if I offend) catboats and catamarans

Boats I've been thinking about (with cockpit length): Chrysler 20 (9.5 ft), Capri 22 (8-9 I forget), Colgate 26 (11 ft) - like the size but may be out of my pricerange

Which boats should be on my list that I'm missing? Comments from owners of these boats would be very welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
In most respects your list is on the mark. Precision, hunters etc will also work. The issue will be finding any trailable boat that you can sail with 6 on board. Boat trim will be a challange with 900lbs of people in the back. Almost all small boats have tillers, reducing sitting area while sailing. Six at the dock for lunch might work. Most people, including kids, will not be happy in interior of these size boats for any period of time. I am sure others will chime in with other options. Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the cabin/port-a-potty isn't too important, have a look at the Rhodes 19. LOTS of cockpit space and nice and deep/safe-feeling.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Two boats immediately spring to mind. One is the Quickstep24. I have one and it's great for most of the things you describe except racing. It's quite stable, has a big cockpit (I don't know about for 6 adults, but certinainly big), it's heavily built and easy on the eye. It's reasonably responsive, but sacrifices light air performance for stability. With a PHRF rating of 240 it might not be a satisfying racer. It has a modest cabin that would sleep two adults and two kids in reasonable comfort. It might sleep 4 adults but two of them would be uncomfortable.

The other is the Alerion express 28. Many of the same attributes as the Quickstep, but with a bump in performance, size and in price.

Quicksteps were made in the 80's and can be had in the $12k range
Alerions are more recent and used boats go in the $60k-$80k range

·
Registered
905 Posts
Rhodes makes the Mariner, which is the same boat with tiny cabin. Very nice boat.

I had pretty much the same checklist and just bought a Precision 18, although I would have been tempted if I found a great Catalina 22, etc.

As you would expect, new are vastly more than used....BUT, if you have the $$ and can make a sweet deal (most makers WILL do do now), then you can expect a very good resale value if kept in top shape...at least for the first 10 years or so.

I, and also others here, suggest paying cash.......and not going into debt for toys like this. If that is not possible, perhaps a really low interest rate based on home equity...as opposed to a boat loan....with a LOT down, to avoid the future trap of owing more on the boat than it's value.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Oh, didn't see the racing criteria...that is going to limit you perhaps to a class design of some sort.......

·
Just a Sailer
25 Posts
A Chrysler 22 or 26 might suit your needs. A 22 has adequate sitting head room down below, while the 26 has standing head room. They stopped making them in 1980, but you can still find them fairly cheap. They sit at least 4 in the cockpit and sleep up to five. 22 has a porti-poti and the 26 an enclosed toilet area. Both are swing keel and trailerable. Very good support through owners at:
Chrysler Sailors Home Page
I have a 22 and it's a good boat, especially for beaching.

Steve

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The Soling would be another good choice.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I would second the Sonar. It is a good bit more user-friendly than the Soling. It has a cuddy, comfortable contoured seats, and is raced without having to resort to extreme hiking. If you are going into that size range, a used J/24 might be less expensive than a Sonar, and extend your cruising range considerably too. The question is whether a keelboat like these will work for you.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the useful replies. Good suggestions about boats I haven't noticed yet. I also found today that a Ranger 20 or 22 might work and there seems to be more of them than Chrysler 20s. Anything with a keel and a handicap is OK for the local beercan races I'd be interested in. Only one design keelboat action near me is J/24 and Catalina 22.

Will be paying cash for this boat. Dream boat right now is something like e33 or one of the Aelerons, but I want to try a trailerable first. I want to have the option of taking my boat to the Texas coast, without a hauler and an oversize permit.

Others in our family have power boats and routinely take 6-10 people out for a ride and swim. I have been thinking about sailing with a bigger group than most seem to be able to accomodate with small sailboats. Or, do you ask some guests to go forward on deck? Railmeat, anyone?

Maybe a non-cabin option is two Buccaneer 18's and we can race each other!

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the useful replies. Good suggestions about boats I haven't noticed yet. I also found today that a Ranger 20 or 22 might work and there seems to be more of them than Chrysler 20s. Anything with a keel and a handicap is OK for the local beercan races I'd be interested in. Only one design keelboat action near me is J/24 and Catalina 22.

Will be paying cash for this boat. Dream boat right now is something like e33 or one of the Aelerons, but I want to try a trailerable first. I want to have the option of taking my boat to the Texas coast, without a hauler and an oversize permit.

Others in our family have power boats and routinely take 6-10 people out for a ride and swim. I have been thinking about sailing with a bigger group than most seem to be able to accomodate with small sailboats. Or, do you ask some guests to go forward on deck? Railmeat, anyone?

Maybe a non-cabin option is two Buccaneer 18's and we can race each other!
Six is a lot on any sailboat under 32', unless it's a racing crew with (as you say) plenty rail meat. It's hard to stow that many abovedecks comfortably without people trodding on lines or sitting on the low side.

Funnily, Chrysler claimed the Bucc18 fits six adults. Ummmm... no. The darn thing has 7" of freeboard to start with, it's tender as hell, and I can't imagine the terror of sailing with six in any wind strong enuf to move that many passengers. And you DON'T want to be on the foredeck of that boat, ever.:D On the plus side, you could buy a matched pair for the price of a 32-footer's genoa.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
if you throw out the racing and trailering look at a hunter 27 1975 to 1983. the cockpit will seat 6 easily, it has a head and a huge saloon.

if you want racing i dont know anything about it.

i dont know much bout the hunter 25 of the same era but it might be worth a look.

here is one just to show the looks and size, it is trailerable. but i dont know about the racing part. the cheribini designed boats are very solid1982 HUNTER HUNTER 25 sailboat for sale in Georgia

·
Registered
295 Posts
Doesn't completely meet your criteria but I bought this Watkins 17' on the cheap.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well

The trailer thing really knocks out a lot of the larger boats in your budget unless you dont mind spending and hour plus when you launch and and hour plus when your done.

I have been there and done that and it wears out pretty quick

I really cant think of any small boat that is going to do the 6 people thing without a whole lot of moving around every tack

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You should add the Oday Tempest to your list. A 23' Rhodes design, the cockpit is very large, the cabin is small, and the lines are sweet. Finding one in good shape may be a chore, but they can be had very cheap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts