SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to announce to everyone on the forum, we're beginning the refit of Jo Beth at the Hinckley Yacht Services yard here in Savannah. We gave the factory refit program very strong consideration, and after nearly three months of bid work, emails, and telephone conversations between us and the facilities, as well as sleepless nights, and an outright argument or two, Lisa and I made our decision for Hinckley. As Savannah is our home, geography was, by and large, the deciding factor. I'll be chronicling this portion of our adventure on our blog, linked below - but give me a week or two to get caught up! :)

Part of the refit is the installation of midship cleats. For those of you out there with factory or after factory midship cleats installed, what is the footprint configuration of your cleats - 2 hole through the cleat or a four hole base?

Thanks!

Reactions: jimgo

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,101 Posts
Ideally use the same cleat that you have for your other dock lines. Be sure to have a plan to prevent the sheets hanging up on the cleat. I am planning to install a set of folding cleats for that reason.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The factory specifications say...

Two 12” bow mooring cleats with 3” hawse pipes.
Two 10” open spring cleats amidships.
Two 10” stern mooring cleats with 9” chocks.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
Mine are just like Rain Dog/Ocean Girl . They seem well placed for springing on or off a dock or hip towing with small inflatables to 25 foot towboats and after 3 years I have not had them foul any gear or be anything but satisfactory.:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone - finding a source for sufficiently sized burnished bronze cleats has been a challenge, but I've actually found three good options. Interestingly enough, the open cleats that folks have are ones I've not found in a large enough size. The only one I've found is a 4" cleat designed for flag pole use. I'm still looking, but am considering a pillar type cleat, which I've found in a 10" burnished bronze.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
Thanks everyone - finding a source for sufficiently sized burnished bronze cleats has been a challenge, but I've actually found three good options. Interestingly enough, the open cleats that folks have are ones I've not found in a large enough size. The only one I've found is a 4" cleat designed for flag pole use. I'm still looking, but am considering a pillar type cleat, which I've found in a 10" burnished bronze.
You might be able to find what you're looking for at Bristol Bronze

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had checked some of the Davey & Co distributors, but was not aware of Chatfield Marine - will follow up with that lead.

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another place to try for bronze hardware-Spartan Marine they made and make the bronze hardware for Cape Dory and have cleats in various sizes.
Good luck with the refit,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

·
Registered
61 Posts
We added cleats from Spartan Marine - Herreshoff style, 8", burnished bronze, 4 hole. Our stern cleats (original) are identical, but 9 1/2". I honestly don't know how we ever got by without them!! ( if I can add a pic, I will )

Ellen
Shibumi

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are 7" ones on page 12 of the Davey & Co catalogue.

http://www.davey.co.uk/pdf/deck_hardware.pdf

They have several distributors in the US.

In New Zealand is Chatfield Marine. They may be the source for the PSC cleats.

High Quality Cast Bronze Open Cleats by Chatfield Marine in New Zealand

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34

Irish Eyes
I believe Bill is correct re: Chatfield. We liked the lazarette hardware so much on our prior PSC that we ordered and installed them on on V42.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bill,
Try Minney's Yacht Surplus in southern California. They bought a lot of the original stainless hardware from the PSC factory auction when it went bankrupt from the previous owner. I've seen a number of PSC parts (some with the logo), to include cleats, but I can't remember if I they were mid-ship cleats.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again everyone for all the awesome replies! I think we're going to with bronze pedestal cleats from Spartan, (Jo Beth is an '84 model - most everything metal is bronze!), as they seem to be the best fit.

We've got dozens, and dozens, and dozens of projects going on, so there will likely be many more posts as the refit progresses. This forum is such an incredible resource. Also, we're off the end of this week to the factory for a visit and tour. Even though we chose to do the refit closer to home, we'll likely source a good number of parts from PSC.

Now to get that blog updated... :eek:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts