SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got 11 days this summer to make the trek across Lake Michigan from Grand Haven to the Wisconsin shoreline. The closest direct line port would be Milwaukee. I crossed last year and stayed at the South Shore Yacht Club. However, I found the club to be too far from the downtown to enjoy all that Milwaukee offers. Can anyone recommend another marina/anchorage in the Milwaukee area for 3 or 4 days?

Alternatively, is there somewhere else we should head to in Wisconsin instead of Milwaukee? I know many will recommend Door County, but I'm not sure it's do-able with our time frame and starting location of Grand Haven. Please let me know if you think otherwise. I suppose we could head north to Pentwater or Frankfort and then cross to Door County. But this would at at least 2 days to both ends of the trip, if not more.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
KW,<O:p</O:p
McKinley Park Marina on the North Side of the Breakwall System is a very nice marina. We stayed there last year for one night. It is right in the heart of the Park with lots to do right around there. A quick walk up the bluff and you are on a city street with lots of nightlife and restaurants. I forget the name of the street, but it’s an old town Milwaukee favorite.
We hopped in a cab and had a very fine dinner at the world famous Mader's German Restaurant. The Schnitzel was outstanding.<O:p</O:p
The Marina is very clean and has what I would call a small town feel in a big city. When you enter the Marina, it is divided into (3) sections with a ton of mooring balls right in the middle of all the slips. It can be a bit confusing and if I remember correctly, my charts were not accurate but my plotter was.
<O:p</O:p

Simply pull up to the fuel dock and check in at the office. They are very helpful and the staff was first rate. I would say however, that this was one of the more expensive transient fee's I have seen. I think our overnight stay was around $65.00

Here is a link to McKinley Marina.........http://www.county.milwaukee.gov/BoatingampMcKinleyMa9139.htm<O:p></O:p>

Port Washington is the next stop going North, If you like small town atmosphere, than this is the place.

Racine is a very fine marina just to the South of Milwaukee.<O:p</O:p
It has much more to offer than Port Washington, but not as much as Milwaukee. Downtown shopping is a short walk away and the Marina has a pool to relax in.

Have fun on your cruise and don't forget Muskegon on July 11.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts