SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Boat:
1984 28' Oday. 12 Hp I/B diesel, Alchohol stove, Ice box. 19 gal fuel tank, 25 gal potty water tank.
High freeboard (subject to cross winds), shoal draft (3'8") makes her a bit tippy, doesn't point high into the wind. Can triple reef the main, roller furling jib. 5 knots is moving, averaging 3 is pretty good.
The skipper:
This is my first boat. Sailed a little less than 3 dozen times in Barnegat Bay (2/3's solo) last season. Plan to exit Barnegat light for Ocean experience next season. However, work location may limit sailing time.
The trip:
Plan is to go from BL to Cape May. Sometime later jump to Delaware Bay and again later to Chesapeake Bay. The big trip is from Norfolk to South of Hatteras. The basic plan would be to stay inside the gulf stream. As this would take several seasons, the trip from Norfolk would be early to mid summer before hurricane season. Would need to find a 5 day window of good weather. Backup plan would be to cross the Gulf stream out of Norfolk (ish) and sail Significantly South of Hatteras prior to trying to cross back inland. This is the farthest I would be offshore. This would be a solo trip.
Equipment I have:
2 Danforth Anchors. A sea anchor. Radar reflectors. An installed and a handheld marine radio. Foul weather gear, snorkel gear (including wet suit), jack lines, a tether and an off shore inflatable life vest. Spare Jib.
Planned equipment:
By the end of this season, all the running rigging will have been replaced. Sails have been refurbished. Prior to the big trip I'll get an ERIPB, inflatable lift raft and have the standing rigging inspected and the compass calibrated.
Specific questions:
Auto pilot. As I understand it, real "cruisers" prefer wind vane steering for simplicity. Auto piloting seems cheaper, more complex however I have a narrow window between the gulf stream and Diamond Shoals. I also need a GPS positioning device (other than my handheld Garmin which is fine on Barnegat Bay and would still be a back up) A full blown Plotter is expensive but would be compatible with GPS steering. I'm leaning toward GPS software for the tablet. I have no inverter and no solar panels. Also, no Bimini or dodger.
Any help, advice or links would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The big trip is from Norfolk to South of Hatteras. The basic plan would be to stay inside the gulf stream. As this would take several seasons, the trip from Norfolk would be early to mid summer before hurricane season. Would need to find a 5 day window of good weather. Backup plan would be to cross the Gulf stream out of Norfolk (ish) and sail Significantly South of Hatteras prior to trying to cross back inland. This is the farthest I would be offshore. This would be a solo trip.
Ken, it would be much more prudent if you took ICW. That is a very rough patch of the ocean and you are likely to run into bad weather or northerly wind that is going to make this trip a big challenge for you and your boat.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
If you are just going to go out for an overnight or two I don't think I would worry about a life raft. A life raft is going to cost (if you buy new, and I would not buy used) as much as your boat is likely worth. EPERB is good, and I would be sure to replace all standing rigging as it will cost about the same as inspection if you do it yourself (Rigging Only), and check chain plates and perhaps put backing plates behind any significant deck fittings. You mention handheld VHF do you have a Fixed mount as well? If not I would suggest you get a VHF with AIS receiver built in. That will help track any commercial shipping, and you will be crossing a bunch. If this is a one time cruse then I would not bother with the wind vane, they are really only good for days on end voyaging, and go with a tiller pilot and a solar panel to help power the electronics. Your going to want some sort of protection, so a dodger would be a smart bet. It may be more cost effective to buy a boat already outfitted as you want, rather than outfitting a boat that is going to be marginal with comfort and seaworthiness. Lighter built boats have done more, but if you can get a more substantial boat for about what your upgrades are going to cost it might well be worth looking into.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Getting around Hatteras is not that hard, if you pick a good 3 day weather window. There are red markers on the 60 ft contour line all within sight of land which mark the outer shoals, and most of the time there is a south going counter-current. Even getting a mile further off-shore puts you in the stream and the boat is not big enough to fight the stream. You need 2-3 days of moderate winds on the beam.

We have done the 'close to the beach' trip three times virtually touching every red marker but we have a big boat and lots of experience on board.

Advice to go inside is very valid! There are lots of shorter, safer passages on which to get experience on the way south. You would have to do the entire trip around Hatteras with no sleep, not a place to have a quick nap!

I would buy a dodger, taking waves in the face, off-shore, is a very fatiguing pastime.

Good luck Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boat is wheel steering. No firm budget yet. There is a fixed mount radio not AIS compatible.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

·
Rainwatcher
439 Posts
You don't want the minimum seaworthiness.

You want the maximum possible for every cent and minute you can beg, borrow or steal before you cast off.

Reactions: Kencigler

·
Master Mariner
8,769 Posts
You don't want the minimum seaworthiness.

You want the maximum possible for every cent and minute you can beg, borrow or steal before you cast off.
I'm with Jammer on this one. After more than 50 years on boats, both professionally and for pleasure, I would think you'd want to be far above the safe minimum should you hit conditions that are well above the maximum expected.

Reactions: Kencigler
1 - 9 of 9 Posts