SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking at a used Mirage 25, designed by Robert Perry. Even Sailboatdata has minimal information on this boat. I shot a note off to Mr Perry and I am sure he is up to his ears with more important things. Thus I am reaching out to anyone that might have some information on them.

Thanks

PJ

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
manatee,

Thanks so much for this information. I thought I was a reasonably good online researcher and you put me to shame......thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own a Mirage 25. There Is minimal information about the boat out there. I was lucky that the fellow I bought mine off of still had every document that came with the boat! It's not much of an owners manual, but it does have a bit of information about the standing rigging and the manual for the CDI furler.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Glad to help. I get to learn new stuff doing it, so it's win-win. Hope she's in good-enough condition to keep another Bob Perry boat going. Give him time, if he gets a chance to breathe, he'll probably get back to you. Take notes -- the more specific your questions are, the more accurate the answers you'll receive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a Mirage 25. There Is minimal information about the boat out there. I was lucky that the fellow I bought mine off of still had every document that came with the boat! It's not much of an owners manual, but it does have a bit of information about the standing rigging and the manual for the CDI furler.
Greatlakes47....thanks for your reply. Can you share with me your thoughts on the sailing characteristics of the boat; specifically tender/stiff, relative speed. balance etc?

Thanks

PJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would love to share. So I came from a Kirby 25 built by mirage, so I'm used to that boat which is very tender. I have owned the Mirage for one season and have sailed her for a couple of years with the previous owner. So from my experience I can say it is a very comfortable boat to sail, it is still fairly tender for a "cruiser" but not so much that you get the rails wet with every puff. I find you have to reef fairly early. I have only taken her out once in 20-25kn breeze, it still felt pretty stable with reduced sail. In light winds it still moves along nicely, it doesn't take much breeze to bring you to hull speed (around 5.5knts) It points fairly well if you have decent sails on her. The only issue with mine is that it came with wheel steering (which my wife likes) and I find it takes away a lot of the feel from the helm because it uses push/pull type cable wich creates a lot of friction. Besides that I really like it, it has tons of room inside for a 25. It has everything you need for weekend cruises.

If you want I can scan the documents I have if you would like a copy?
Hope this helps

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Pat:
I have been preoccupied for the last 16 days with an intern who has been staying at my beach shack. I just sent you an email. But I think you are getting better information right here. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Bob P.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Beneteau 323 bought new. My dad had an 80's vintage Perry design Mirage 25. I love my Beneteau, but the Mirage was a better built boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a Hobie Cat at the cottage. I have sailed Lasers, CL 14s and 16s over the years. Would the Mirage 25 be a good first cruiser for me or is it a little too "tender". I like to go fast obviously but don't want to fight it all the time either. I'm getting older. I'm looking at quite a nice boat right now but the owner died and no one knows much about this boat. Thanks for any info.

·
19,489 Posts
We have a Hobie Cat at the cottage. I have sailed Lasers, CL 14s and 16s over the years. Would the Mirage 25 be a good first cruiser for me or is it a little too "tender". I like to go fast obviously but don't want to fight it all the time either. I'm getting older. I'm looking at quite a nice boat right now but the owner died and no one knows much about this boat. Thanks for any info.
Hard to imagine someone who's sailed Lasers and dinghies finding any keelboat 'too tender'... ;)

I think it would be a good boat to start with, though by today's standard practice may be on the small side. Seems today's 'starters' are often 30'+.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

I am looking at a used Mirage 25, designed by Robert Perry. Even Sailboatdata has minimal information on this boat. I shot a note off to Mr Perry and I am sure he is up to his ears with more important things. Thus I am reaching out to anyone that might have some information on them.

Thanks

PJ
So did you get any info from Bob? Trying to figure out S.A./Disp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts