SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To me it doesnt feel stable at all, but those chains keep the supports from spreading and most of its weight is resting on the keel. Still i cant help but worry about them slipping out however unlikely that may be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Its really not necessary even though i am un easy. The boat has been on hard for 3 years with all the weather that could be thrown at it for all the time and constant visitors so i do not think its going anywhere (i hope)

On water goal? What is that? And you right. I took sone time off from work (much needed for personal reasons) to go get some work done on the boat. One of many things is scrub and sand the bottom, pressure test thru hull transducers and apply new bottom paint (2 coats).

I actually have a significant list compiled of things i want done before hull meets water. These things shouldnt take all week and some csn wsit till she is lsunched. All items on the list are listed in order of importance.

Goal is still the 27th of June for launch date and should not be out of reach.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Update! If i can manage to finish the bottom paint before friday, she will be launched friday or at latest saturday.

Today i scrubbed the bottom and hung plastic to catch the dust as i sand. I am also using a air sander with vacuum attachment to keep dusting to a minimum.

Also taped off the hull in prep for sanding and hopefully start of rolling tomorrow. Wish me luck!

After scrubbing

After tape and plastic drapes ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My wife and I had a similar conversation today about being on stilts. She was up in the boat cleaning and she said it made her super nervous to be in the very back or front. Tomorrow through saturday ill be sleeping on the boat on the hard so I do not have to commute and hr both ways and so I can get more done :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lol, well im on my boat now. Its 11:45 and i just quit for the day. I am going to be one sore SOB tomorrow.

Stripped entire old bottom paint off the hull today. Grinded out the one golf ball sized blister i did have and grinded out keel stress crack.

Re filled blister and stress crack with epoxy and filled a chip in the rudder with epoxy.

Tomorrow the plsn is to finish sanding by moving the stands one at a time and sanding behind them. After which ill rense the bottom to be sure there is no left over pounder from the old paint then ill apply two layers of paint and wait to dry. Hopefully by 8 tomorrow ill be moving the stands again to paint behind the pads.

In the mean time im gunna check the mast and repair replace lights as well as oil mast pulleys. Also plan to replace blocks on the deck that have had better days.

Still on schedule for friday :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just finished sanding the bottom completely. About to start painting once i get some lunch. After which it will be time to drink a beer....or 6. Pics to follow this evening

·
19,489 Posts
If you're going to move a stand - and if the yard actually allows YOU doing that - put another in place next to it first.

Surprised you're sounding so at ease discussing moving a stand after your trepidation about the boat falling over on you! ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yea i did just that today and as i moved it i replaced the move one to support the boat while i sanded beneath it. After which i moved it back to its original position and removed the extra stand. A little extra work but it made me feel better.

Ok here are the pics before, after first coat and after.

Before

After first coat

After

Gotta move stands one last time tomorrow then paint the squares and shes all finished and waiting for transport to the water on Friday.

Tomorrow im moving the mast outside and giving it a good one over to make sure there are no suprise issues when its getting put up. Also plan to polish the side with polishing wax to bring out the gel coat and protect it from oxidation. Might get to some wood work too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Installed a radio/cd/mps player beneath the vhf. Turned out great but the busted batteries that came with the boat are shot and will probably need replacing :/. Another negative note the freakin bilge pump is intirely manual. I like a manual back up but am going to look into installing an electric.

Working with the switches in the nav station made me realise i need to add atleast two more. One for the ELECTRIC bilge pump and another for the radio...one thing after another but it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No not yet, after this project is complete i am not sure how that would go or how it works.

As for the project, finished up thd bottom job by moving the stands and placing wsx psper between pads and new bottom paint. Also replaced damaged mast wiring, added led spreader lights, and replaced steam light housing and bulb assembly.

My buddy came up to help me out and we moved the mast outside so i could do any necessary repairs (as mentioned previously).

Also set up a slip at Sunrise Cove Marina and paid for my mast rsising snd reserved a time block. Transport should be here at 10:00 am to transfer and splash her down the street where the mast raising will slso be performed. I will document these events accordingly. :cool:

21 - 40 of 79 Posts