SailNet Community banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok, it has been an extreamly eventful past few days.

yesterday guy came and picked up the boat. It took forever to load her up but she was finally splashed two hrs later than expected. Once she was in the water i moved her to the well in order to get the mast stepped. I was alrrady 2hrs and 30min past my window so i did not hsve time to do the prep work i was wanting to do. The mast was stepped and I relocated her to the slip i reserved and began the process of figuring out her rigging.

Finished rigging this morning (sort of lol) i got good tension evenly distributed about the stays and ran exsisting lines as best i could. I am not not familiar with the set up at all. Took her out for a sail for the first time at noon.

More detail on that when i have the patience to write about it lol...photos coming soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I was late because of the transport itself, i had no idea how long it was going to take to get the boat moved but he did an excellent job. Then we get to the boat yard and thr guy was not there to open the gate so there goes another 30 min. Then we go to the ramp to launch s d the batteries i should have already replaced were toast and we had to get a jump box. Once i finally got her to the well to step the mast we were way behind and being rushed. I have not rushed all week and here i am at the crucial mast prep and i am running out of time.

The mast went up and i ended up going aloft to repair some worn out lines and will have to go again thursday if i get a chance to install a new wind vain and replace a few shims.

I need to do teak work, trouble shoot a few electrical problems, and figure out my shore power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I spent the morning saturday running replacement lines, working on rigging issues, using a tension meter to adjust my stays. They still need adjusting but i had it rigged enough to take it out on a test sail. My wife and I took her out and the wind was a perfect 10 to 15 knots. I noticed a little play in the steering that needs to be addressed a d she wants to point windward with about 5 degrees of adjustment to keep her just to leeward.

I need to replace my topping lift lined, and outhaul lines. As well as figure something better out for my downhaul set up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Now the bad about Saturday.

It seems every time i take a first sail i end up getting into some freak wind storm.

First of all i should not of pulled out all the sail i had the first sail out on the boat. Second i shoukd have used one of the islands around me as a safe place to take down the sails instead of fighting with it in the wind.

I began to reef the sails, which i should have done way earlier, and the wind kicked up to excess of 20 knots pulling my genoa all the wzy out to 150. I tried to refurl but was only able to get it to maybe 100%. it was also discovered that my winches are baby smooth and were little use in high winds without a hard rearward pull while winching.

My wife has never been sailing before and we had never sailed this boat before and i could not steer the boat into the wind and regain control of the sails at the same time. She was terrified as she would heel so far to one side while leaning back you were vertually standing straight up. I eventually was able to get the main dropped and the jib furled to a small section and atleast began to start to a safe harbor.
Once back into my slip it was realised that my furler had been hanging up on my spinnaker halyard, so i relocated it to prevent that from happening.

Atleast 6 of the plastic pieces that slide in the grove of the mast to hold the luff of the mainsail had broken and need to be repaired/replaced.

Over all my pride was hurt and i learned a lot of valuable lessons at once.

The good thing is despite the user error the boat took the abuse like a champ. She is a good boat and with some fine tuneing and some more practice she will be a fine boat.

·
19,489 Posts
It will all come together. The sail slugs that broke were likely UV damaged long ago, brittle and ready to give it up. I'd replace them all at this stage for peace of mind.

Unless you have self tailing winches they all need to have pressure/pull applied when grinding - and held on until it's tied off somewhere. If they are self tailing make sure the tails are firmly in the jaws of the upper section so they won't backslip.

Sorting out where to store halyards will take some trial and error, you've got the first one out of the way.

Always better to start small and work up rather than the other way round with sail area, as you've found out already too.

Hopefully your wife was not so scared that she's turned off the whole idea. Make sure you get her to take the helm so that she can get the hang of pinching and depowering when she's feeling overwhelmed.

It was a good day - plenty of lessons learned for next time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
They are self tailing but there should be more grip to them than there is, with the winch rapped 4 times i should not have to put vertually all my body weight into the line to keep from slipping lol! A little slip is a good thing for sheet release but a lot of slip has made the winch almost useless. I have considered taking a drimel to its surface and making its surface slightly ruffer to improove its grip obly slightly.

You are so right i learned a lot and still have a lot to learn.

I plan to have the main inspected and serviced so she is ready for my next sail.

·
19,489 Posts
In all your pictures there's not a good one of the cockpit sheet winches. If those winches look the same as the ones on the cabin top you do not have self tailers. 4 wraps on a loaded winch will slip unless cleated or the sheet is wrapped into the tailing jaws.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Lol very true, i guess i need to look into some better winches.

If i had it to do again lets just say i would do things very differently

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Went to check on the Mirage today. Installed a 1000 gph electric bilge pump with auto on off switch and some 6 1/2 roswell marine speakers. Also re greased the teeth in the wheel steering gears and removed the play that was making her so difficult to track last weekend.

Tomorrow i plan to tackle the mast wiring issue and install individusl breakers for the radio and bilge pump.

Also dropped the main sail off to have it repaired. Instead of sewing new ones on i had gromets inserted so if they break again all i have to do is remove and replace. Hopefully i can pick the main up tomorrow and take her out for a sail.

In the mean time there are plenty of lines on deck that need replacing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
that bilge pump was something else, it was like 1/4 inch to big to just drop down in there so i had to pull up half the floor to install it. No big deal though got a good look at whats under there.

Mounted my little gas grill too. Its missing a few parts though :/

41 - 60 of 79 Posts