SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody else see mirages out on the water this weekend? I was out on the Bay on Sunday, sailing between Annapolis and Herrington. We saw some pretty weird things. Images from the water seemed to be reflected in the sky and then multiplied. Powerboat wakes near the horizon looked like long trails of smoke. Looking north to the bridge from about Bloody Point, it looked like there was a large hill on the western side of the bridge. Then the hill moved east and obscured the bridge! It was really weird. My buddy said it looked like the cliffs of Dover, and I agreed. There were a few ships anchored off Annapolis and they seemed really large, much larger than normal. Distances seemed to be skewed, too.

My guess is that the hot air mixed with the cold air just above the water and did some funky things with the light. Even nearby on the shore, you could see the heat ripples that you sometimes see on a hot road in summer. At around 5 or 6 o'clock, a cool breeze came through for a few minutes and everything sort of cleared up and went back to normal.

Did anybody else see anything similar??

Note to all would-be wisecrackers: Yes, I was sober and not under any influences. :)

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
So HOW many drinks did you have? how much caffeine? Alcohol?

Anyway, this happens on ANY water way when certain temps etc hit, same thing in deserts. I've heard and seen pics of people seeing stuff that has refracted around the globe some 100+ miles. IE seeing mountain ranges that are many miles off when on the ocean.

Same thing happens with full moons, the earths atmosphere refracts the size of the moon when it is first coming up, same thing happens to a degree, as to why we see different colors and intensities when the sun sets and rises too, ala "green flash". It can be quite the interesting science to figure this out, and see who thing will refract etc.

And NO you do not need to be drinking alcohol or smoking/toking or ________!

Marty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts