SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought one of these and it comes with a windex illuminator, which is just an opening in the housing for one of the 3 LED's that shines upward through a lens located on top of the fixture. It appears to be very well made as you might suspect (so there's no way I can get in there and do a repair or mod), but the opening to the diffuser lens on top is over the green light on the starboard side of the unit, and not the white stern light where my (and I think most people's) windex is located. I'm wondering if this was the way these are designed or if this was a mistake made during assembly at the factory. I've tested this in my garage with a 12v battery and I don't think the green light would reach back to adequately light up my windex. I'd have to move the windex to where my vhf antenna is currently on the stbd side of the mast to have any hope of being lit up. It just seems like something isn't right, though..

Does anyone know for sure?

Ray

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe it, but they are actually in their workplace this afternoon up in Annapolis and answered my question. In case you're curious, the opening is supposed to be over the stern light, but the technician thought for sure there would be plenty of light diffusing through that lens that it will light up anything in the vicinity of the masthead. That, and he still offered to replace it if it doesn't work out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.