SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The larger docks have pilings supporting the middle and ends of the dock. Not so with the smaller docks. They are secured by a chain and anchor to the bottom, apparently. So a nice wind out of the south, and look what happens. It is not the first time.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Looks like bigger anchors are in order. We have anchored docks in our marina and we had to upsize the anchors about 4x the weight to account for the much larger boats that people how have compared to 40 years ago. The other possibility is that the chains just were not adjusted right but that is more of a problem later in the season when the water levels are lower (I think this is Great Lakes). Perhaps the chains were not loosened enough and the high water levels this spring meant the docks were partially lifting the docks.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is in Chicago. We are on B dock which is the first dock you see on the left. Our dock has 3 or four pilings in the ground which the dock uses as a brace. They are located on the main part of the pier and the dock surrounds the piling with little wheels against the piling allowing the dock to rise and fall with minimal friction.

The docks that broke free are connected to the ground with anchor chain, and probably just a cement block. This is the second time they broke free. Adding some pilings is in order, in my opinion, as the larger boats on B dock have never had a problem.

Looks like bigger anchors are in order. We have anchored docks in our marina and we had to upsize the anchors about 4x the weight to account for the much larger boats that people how have compared to 40 years ago. The other possibility is that the chains just were not adjusted right but that is more of a problem later in the season when the water levels are lower (I think this is Great Lakes). Perhaps the chains were not loosened enough and the high water levels this spring meant the docks were partially lifting the docks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.