SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...at least he made it 50 miles!:rolleyes:
Anyone in CA know any more about this?

SANTA BARBARA, Calif - Late yesterday afternoon the Coast Guard dispatched a rescue helicopter from Coast Guard Air-Station Los Angeles and an 87-foot Coast Guard Cutter after receiving a distress call from a solo sailor on a 25 foot sailboat who was transiting from Santa Barbara to Hawaii. In the radio call for help the sailor indicated he had been awake for 36 hours and was having medical issues. Before the sailor’s position could be determined radio contact was lost.
Despite losing radio contact the Coast Guard rescue helicopter was able to locate the sailor about 10 nautical miles southwest of Santa Rosa Island. After making contact with the sailor the helicopter crew instructed him to proceed to a designated location to rendezvous with the Cutter Halibut that was en route from Santa Barbara, about 69 nautical miles away.
More.... Coast Guard Cutter Halibut medically evacuates sailor attempting to transit from Santa Barbara to Hawaii | Coast Guard News

·
1,000 Posts
50 miles in 36 hours... (maybe more)....was he sailing at the speed of smell ???

Sorry..can't comment....if I do..I get hate posts again....

LEAVE THE MAN ALONE CAM.....gee What a party pooper

·
Admirals fav target
229 Posts
Sleep deprivation is a medical condition? Of course another extreme medical condition that I seem to suffer from is foot in mouth syndrom.....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
50 miles in 36 hours... (maybe more)....was he sailing at the speed of smell ???

Sorry..can't comment....if I do..I get hate posts again....

LEAVE THE MAN ALONE CAM.....gee What a party pooper
Aw, come on, Giu. At least a little photo-shop? Or maybe a Catalina comparison for the benefit of CD? I haven't laughed since the last one!

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
He's going to take his 25 footer to Hawaii? Sounds like a good plan already. I'd like to go to Hawaii too. Maybe I'll take my little bayliner built jewel down the big muddy, cross the gulf (dodging a few hurricanes on the way), through the panama canal, and I'll be on my way. From there I think I'll go see Fiji.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
He's going to take his 25 footer to Hawaii? Sounds like a good plan already.
I dunno, isn't there a couple that have circumnavigated the globe a few times in a 26-footer? I don't think it's the size of the boat, so much as whether it's well-found and both it and the crew are adequate to the task.

Jim

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I guess he didn't have enough coffee on board to help him stay awake.

But then I did at one time delay sailing a vessel because there wasn't any coffee on board. They got me ten pounds of coffee inside of three hours and we sailed.

A 25 foot boat? to Hawaii from California? It has been done a few times. But you don't want to be in the shipping lanes as you make that voyage.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
I dunno, isn't there a couple that have circumnavigated the globe a few times in a 26-footer? I don't think it's the size of the boat, so much as whether it's well-found and both it and the crew are adequate to the task.

Jim
You hit the nail on the head Jim.

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
There was a 21 footer that made it. Unfortunately, it disappeared last year on it's way to Seattle or Ketchikan. Never was heard from or found. They had a PAN PAN out for it for about a month up here.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
BFS* Proponent for sure. It must have been a really big, meticulous beauty to cover all that water and hit an unseen continent while below.

I'll take up for a lot of sailors. This guy? Swing away.

(Big Freakin' Sandwich)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
And he's an Eastie. That's gonna leave a mark in the cup standings. Even the sleepy Westie guy didn't Gilligan this bad. The real question we should focus the debate on is:

How much does the US Navy charge to repair a rudder and unfoul a prop?

That's service, baby.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love the last bit of the article:

"With any luck, Yves Oger will once again be facing open seas, headed south to Charleston."

Maybe he should look for alternative transportation on land...

Pardon me, do you have any grey puopon?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts