SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
A real shame they did not find him. Those waters there can be really bad. I take it there is a strong current in the channel, but one would think the boat would have left some bit of debris behind. I that when I go (as we all must) being able to go doing something you love is the way to go. My grandfather had a massive heat attack and died on the golf course. The only thing he would likely rather died doing was hunting. To go doing what you love is the way to go.

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Dunno. i would prefer to die in my sleep at 97 after the 20 year old nurse have tucked me in.

This is another very sad case. Also another, third this month, without an EPIRB.

Mark
well I think tyrion lannister said it best:

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Weather has been real rough here last two weeks. Strong trades and swell from multple directions. The wind in that channel could easily be 40 Knts with 20 foot breaking waves. the alenuihaha channel is one of worlds most dangerous-trades funneling between two volcanoes one at 10,000 ft and other at 14,000 feet. And cg help by air is 100 miles away. In the white capped covered water, nearly impossible to find much debis, and depth is 5,000 feet. Not a place one wants to have a problem.
I think I remember Bob Bitchen talk about that stretch and how it was really hard to make it through on Lost soul and that is a monster of a cruising boat. I suppose he is now spending his time listening to braddah IZ. May he rest in peace.

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Interesting that Cook's crew traded nails for sex. I read another article that said Cook needed to leave the big island as his ship was falling apart- the crew were pulling out the ships nails. I guess that is why "pleasure" boats are now made of fiberglass...
Perhaps where the phrase "I nailed her" came from?

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Just as a matter of curiosity, what Make and Model of boat did he have?
It looked to me like a "Character" boat with that Bow, but it seems to be well built; it made it back to Port, and the USGS didn't sink it as they sometimes do.

Erindipity
I believe it was a Bayfield, while they are as much made to look salty they are are well built.

Hey not to minimize what this guy went through, if you are in the islands would you not keep many days worth of rations on your boat, just in case? I understand say someone in the Chesapeake not, after all from most spots you could walk to shore, but around the islands it does not take much to go wrong before you are drifting around in the middle of nowhere. When I get out there (yes it is in the works) I will be sure the dry storage is filled to brim with food, and water tanks are full of fresh water. Even if I don't normally drink tank water I am sure if it is sanitary it would be welcome after a few days out there! He just did not seem very well prepared.

Looks like Casey and I were posting at the same time!

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Like the life raft seine in Road to Morocco with Bob Hope Bing Crosby where they flip the coin to see who gets eaten first.

"we're gonna get awfully hungry"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.