SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Reaction score
Even if he got in his kayak before the boat sunk, his chances of making it to shore would have been slim to none in that weather and in that place. He probably joined the Davy Jones crew. RIP old sailor dude.

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Reaction score
That is great news. He must have stopped the leak, or at least slowed it down. I wonder if the leak was related to his rudder, as he was apparently unable to sail.

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Reaction score
I would estimate he was found about 100 nm east of the search area. Ron said his gps gave the wrong long/lad when he made his first mayday call to CG. And the search area was based on the given long/lad.
Thanks. That makes sense. Looks like he was just drifting during that time, which is peculiar, as his mast was intact. Maybe his halyard fell out of the mast head and he was unable to hoist up the mainsail. But what about headsail? Or maybe he just did not want to move much to improve the odds of CG finding him? I think there is a lot more to this story we don't yet know about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.