SailNet Community banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Beyond The Pale
300 Posts
Reaction score
I thought that it might have been a Bayfield _29_, given the three portlights per side; the only Bayfield 25 that I ever saw only had two, and that is what Sailboatdata shows.
No doubt there are variations.
They seem to be very nice Boats, and have a good reputation, which this story will no doubt enhance.

Yeah, still a lot of unanswered questions here, like no visible Registration Numbers on the Bow, or Name and Port on the Stern, that I could see. (The Hawaiian "Malia" in the USGS lookup is a Fountaine Pajot, which this was clearly not.)

Vega1860 speculated that Ingraham was having Harbourmaster issues, and that is why he left, and quickly.
(BTW, an Albin Vega was on my Short List, but the original engine was shot, and that is a fairly big problem on the Vegas.)

Thanks all

Erindipity

· Registered
3,548 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey not to minimize what this guy went through, if you are in the islands would you not keep many days worth of rations on your boat, just in case? I understand say someone in the Chesapeake not, after all from most spots you could walk to shore, but around the islands it does not take much to go wrong before you are drifting around in the middle of nowhere. When I get out there (yes it is in the works) I will be sure the dry storage is filled to brim with food, and water tanks are full of fresh water. Even if I don't normally drink tank water I am sure if it is sanitary it would be welcome after a few days out there! He just did not seem very well prepared.
I normally have a few days of food stashed and some 5 gallon jugs of water just in case. Most folks probably do not have 2 weeks of food if they think they are just going 30 miles and be to another island. But most folks also have a vhf and maybe a spare handheld, and maybe an epirb or plb, but then maybe not. As far as water, when I first started sailing bottled water had not been invented, the tank water was all we drank for 4 weeks straight on passages, and we never got sick, and never had plastic bottles to carry to shore, or drop in the ocean.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Reaction score

· Registered
3,548 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Heaviest first? :)
My cannibal list is:
1. Fat men
2. Skinny men
3. Fat women (single)
4. Skinny women (single)
5. Mothers and Children (under 18)- Those are spared.

Note: All my crew sign waivers and legal docs concerning the above prior to leaving dock, so I cannot be sued for utilizing discriminatory policies.

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Like the life raft seine in Road to Morocco with Bob Hope Bing Crosby where they flip the coin to see who gets eaten first.

"we're gonna get awfully hungry"

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.