SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

2nd childhood in progress
Good thread for the MS Coast!
I was going to drag my family out to Ship or Cat Island this evening, but we have never overnighted on the hook and have never sailed out to the islands. Wouldn't leave until around 6pm and don't think I will try a first attempt at anchoring in a place I've never been when dark will have already set in. After getting some experience under better circumstances, we'll try it; tonight we'll sleep at the harbor and then sail a bit in the morning. Maybe to Ship Island and let the kids storm the Fort!

Although I'm too chicken for tonight, would the Little Bend at cat Island offer any protection from this evening's easterly winds that will blow steady at around 12mph and kick gusts to 21mph?

Thanks Loose D,
The depth info for near the Little Bend was exactly what I needed. Turned out this weekend was a sailing bust, just camping on the boat. Winds certainly picked up!

I Spoke with another sailor who anchored in Smugglers Cove recently, it was shallow and ok for his 2.5' draft. Not so close in to shore for a 4.5' draft though-- couple hundred yards? He Also said the "flies" were bad on shore. he backed off shore for the night and caught the breezes to escape the flies.

See Loose Diamonds comments in this thread on Little Bend for deeper boats. Report back what you find this weekend.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.