SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
I know this is a bit old, but be advised that the shoaling in Smuggler's Cove has progressed and the charts are certainly incorrect.

As per my ActiveCaptain review:
"Update 10/2013: the sandbar is very washed out, and the embayment has shallowed. We saw 3 feet at high tide and didn't try to go up inside. Very little east protection now that the bar has eroded. I would now describe this as a north or fair weather stop. Compare the chart to the satellite, you'll see."

Registered
Years ago, before Katrina, you could have taken your 5' draft damn near to the beach up inside the bar.

At the time we were there in Oct. there was a trawler who undoubtedly drew more than me farther up in the Cove. So yes, there are holes if you know where they are.

I buzzed around, trying to find a hole that was far enough from him to give him space and still allow 4 feet under me to allow for tide and couldn't find it up in behind what's left of the bar. Anchored a bit out and it was bumpy, even with the easterly wind we had.

I guess it had been a year and a half or more since I'd been in there last (with my F-27GS trimaran which drew an inch or so :) and I was really surprised at how much the bar has washed.

Once what is left of that bar washes, and without interference it will, that whole backside of the island will begin to wash and it'll be just a series of flats like the rest of the islands are.

I'd heard rumors that there was some sort of plan to rebuild the islands to pre-Camille status, but I expect there'd be no money for that. C'est les iles...

Registered
There is some spoil building going on north and a little west of Round Island. Looks like maybe they're lengthening Round Island to the northwest. I think it's material from Halter Marine expansion or something. it'll make a nice anchorage in north winds if they finish it up the way it looks like they're doing. So although we're losing Smuggler's Cove maybe we'll have Round Island

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.