SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
For several years, I would go to Smugglers Cove for protection. Due to time constraints, I have been poking along N side more this year. A little west of Little Bend, N of the entrance to the private house and bayou (marked with a light) will tuck you in and protect against E winds well (due to Racoon Spit), and somewhat westerly ones. I can get in 8ft. water, leave the keel down for stability, and do pretty well. The map is somewhat deceiving as to the curve and protection there (more than one would realize). Haven't explored Chandeleur yet. Smugglers Cove is shoaled up pretty good, and 4.5 ft with room for tide will not get you in far. If attempted, stay more to the south side, but be aware that the spit has washed away such that not much is left at high tide. Can be deceiving. 3-4 years ago, people would camp on it. Impossible now. Still offers protection, but not visible at high tide...

Registered
IRead previous posts. If the wind predictions are accurate and maintain an easterly component, Smugglers Cove would be my choice. The South spit has eroded such that it is almost completely submerged at high tide. There is I lighted buoy at the southernmost tip. Still, you can get in close enough to protect from all but a westerly wind. Enter the cove avoiding the south spit as well as the very shallow area of Good Scotch Point. North side would protect from that wind but very shallow. Longer rides to shore. Finally in the water last weekend after pulling for hurricane Isaac. If I work out some electrical issues, I may be out there Sat and Sun. If you see a small boat with a yellow flag, it is probably me. Hail Loose Diamond or dinghy over for a cold drink! Good luck.

Registered
Definitely made the right decision, especially on a hard schedule. I have spent an extra night out there more than once when I got in too close and the tide stranded me. Given that and the forecast unusually high tidal range, good call. Anywhere on the N side would be shoaled worse. I have become more conservative over time. Now I will anchor out in the evening in 8 ft with the keel down for stability and peace of mind when on the N side. (a little more familiar with some deep holes in Smugglers).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.