SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never sailed before but looking to get into the lifestyle gradually and then in 11 years I hope to retire and be quite experienced. Would be cruising up and down the Chesapeake Bay and maybe to Bermuda until retirement then island hopping in the caribbean after that. Would an older model Leopard 40 be overkill for this agenda or would a newer model Gemini 105c be enough for this?

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
Not knocking the Gemini but really it is chalk and cheese. I'd most certainly take the Leopard but there is a pretty big price difference twixt the two even if the Leopard where a few years older than the Gemini ?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Perhaps charter both and find out which one is the best fit for your intentions.

The Gemini is smaller, cheaper to operate and cheaper slip rates at marinas, but more than 6 people on board is crowded, 4 is comfortable, and easy to single hand, fits under most bridges on the ICW.

The Leopard is larger, will cost more to operate (everything is bigger), will not have as many options for marina slips, 8 people on board is not crowded, more difficult to single hand, and does not fit under many ICW bridges.

Offshore the Leopard is the better boat, but the Gemini with limitations is also capable of blue water sailing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps charter both and find out which one is the best fit for your intentions.

The Gemini is smaller, cheaper to operate and cheaper slip rates at marinas, but more than 6 people on board is crowded, 4 is comfortable, and easy to single hand, fits under most bridges on the ICW.

The Leopard is larger, will cost more to operate (everything is bigger), will not have as many options for marina slips, 8 people on board is not crowded, more difficult to single hand, and does not fit under many ICW bridges.

Offshore the Leopard is the better boat, but the Gemini with limitations is also capable of blue water sailing.
Looking at videos on YouTube I notice most people motor on the ICW instead of sailing why is that?

·
Registered
322 Posts

Gemini should fit under all ICW bridges. Leopard under most, but would have some trouble in the panhandle of Florida.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
It is because it is frequently narrow and the wind can be blocked in places. But, there are many wide areas where people do sail. When I used to do deliveries, I would often sail when I could.
I would amend that slightly, to "there are many wide areas where people COULD sail..."

You were the exception... In my observation, a rather small percentage actually DO ...

;-)

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
What is the actual definition of a coastal cruiser?
No good definition. However, people generally refer to weaker hulls and rigging and, perhaps more quantifiable, less tankage, which would make it harder to be very far from shore for very long.

I sort of look at it this way. I believe you can't really predict weather much more than 3 days out. Is it a boat I want to be more than 3 days from shore upon, or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No good definition. However, people generally refer to weaker hulls and rigging and, perhaps more quantifiable, less tankage, which would make it harder to be very far from shore for very long.

I sort of look at it this way. I believe you can't really predict weather much more than 3 days out. Is it a boat I want to be more than 3 days from shore upon, or not.
Well what about sailing to Bermuda and the Caribbean from the east coast is that considered open water sailing cause I personally consider that to be coastal cruising, I might be wrong but don't want to buy to much of a Cat if I don't have to.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Well what about sailing to Bermuda and the Caribbean from the east coast is that considered open water sailing cause I personally consider that to be coastal cruising, I might be wrong but don't want to buy to much of a Cat if I don't have to.
Bermuda is a serious crossing that has some very unpredictable weather. The Bahama and near Caribbean can be done with careful weather windows.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Personally I can't imagine the discussion. "I've never ridden a horse, but I'd like to know what sort I should get to cross the great divide in 11 years."

I'd start by learning to sail a small boat now. You might hate it, or you might love it but decide a monohull is better for you.

Sail.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.