SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For practicing the figure 8 man overboard, in 20+ knot winds, if you go head to wind, the jib will flog and probably tear. I was going to practice this in a 26' last time out, but I aborted when I noticed how much the jib starting flogging. I was training to let the jib luff after the first tack of the figure 8. How can you perform this maneuver without damaging the jib, on a 20+ knot wind day?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Wuff! Sup dude!

BTW leg - you probably want to do the tacking technique and not the gybe - unless of course you ARE the man.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,163 Posts
For practicing the figure 8 man overboard, in 20+ knot winds, if you go head to wind, the jib will flog and probably tear. I was going to practice this in a 26' last time out, but I aborted when I noticed how much the jib starting flogging. I was training to let the jib luff after the first tack of the figure 8. How can you perform this maneuver without damaging the jib, on a 20+ knot wind day?
A jib in any kind of reasonable condition won't be damaged by short periods of flogging in 20+ knot winds - the jib flogs every time the boat is tacked. Do your MOB routine and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It seems to me in a MOB situation, particularly in high wind, the first priority should be using the technique which yields a quick and successful recovery. Maybe it is just me, but equipment is a distant second.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
On the last leg of the figure 8 you turn the boat to the wind and coast up to you MOB. The main should be sheeted tight to the center line. You can also sheet down the head sail to the center line by using both sheets. But you risk having the bow blow off to one side of the wind or the other. It is best just to let it luff and get your MOB back on board.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems to me in a MOB situation, particularly in high wind, the first priority should be using the technique which yields a quick and successful recovery. Maybe it is just me, but equipment is a distant second.
I definitely agree that equipment is a distant second - in a real MOB situation. But there's no sense in tearing a jib just for practicing. Perhaps I should furl up the jib, and only use the main for the MOB drill, when winds are too strong...

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,163 Posts
... Perhaps I should furl up the jib, and only use the main for the MOB drill, when winds are too strong...
You gotta be kidding...20+ winds is just above a fresh breeze, you risk sail damage from practicing MOB maneuvers no more than when picking up a mooring at the end of the day. Sails are constructed to handle such wear-and-tear without damage...just don't leave it up overnight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I prefer to practice in the manner I plan to do the rescue in the real case. The idea of practice is to make the real thing routine. If the jib is going to flog around in the actual event, I want to have that experience prior to the time it really counts.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If it was a very windy day, why are you practicing a MOB anyway? But 20+ winds isn't what I would call very windy either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was a very windy day, why are you practicing a MOB anyway? But 20+ winds isn't what I would call very windy either.
Well, if you only practice MOB in light winds, what happens when there is a real MOB in stronger winds? I want to be ready.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Well, if you only practice MOB in light winds, what happens when there is a real MOB in stronger winds? I want to be ready.
The point was also made that I didn't think 20+ winds to be extremely windy or something to worry about.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The point was also made that I didn't think 20+ winds to be extremely windy or something to worry about.

Around here that would all depend on which dirrection that was from and how it affected the sea state

Becasue it could be far from simple depending on what the waves are doing ;)

And the figure 8 is pretty of of date and requires a LOT more sailing

Rapid-Recovery MOB Techniques

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Agreed Tom. That's why Giu's heave-to video was so good. Exactly this technique instead of the 8.

This is cool though in that it only uses tacks - not gybes.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Around here that would all depend on which direction that was from and how it affected the sea state

Because it could be far from simple depending on what the waves are doing ;)

And the figure 8 is pretty of of date and requires a LOT more sailing

Rapid-Recovery MOB Techniques
Practice on the Delaware with a 2 or 3 knot current.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I grew up on Broadkill Beach and dont know how to sail without current :)
So you understand the fine art of sailing backwards......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts