SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, it's Junwe, wondering if anyone has used the navionics app on the Long Island Sound? How far offshore can you go before losing signal? i will be sailing from New Haven CT to city island. Paid for the navionics app and like it. Wish everyone a fantastic season.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Hello, it's Junwe, wondering if anyone has used the navionics app on the Long Island Sound? How far offshore can you go before losing signal? i will be sailing from New Haven CT to city island. Paid for the navionics app and like it. Wish everyone a fantastic season.
I have and worked fine for me.... Samsung S7active

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant! i have paper charts and a garmin 78s but really like the navionics app. In addition, i don't have anyone for a lookout and being my first long sail in a decade not to dismiss the fact that i am not very familiar with the wheel since my O'day25 had a tiller. i feel it would be easier using the app and the 78s whilst on the helm. Samsung S8

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hello,

I use the Navionics app on my iphone and it works great. I find there is adequate cell service in most of the Sound. Note that don't need cell service to use the app if your device have a GPS built in. You will need to download the maps, but this is easy to do. I believe that most phones have GPS built in but not all tablets do. I can use Navionics on my phone and it works great. If I use it on my ipad it doesn't work when I don't have wifi (because the ipad does not have a GPS).

Make sure you have a way or charging your device because the navionics app will run down the battery quickly.

Have a great time on your trip.

Barry

·
Registered
23,712 Posts
As best I recall, the only navigation feature that requires internet access is auto-routing and I'm not 100% sure that's even true. Perhaps to get harbor and shoreside data too, but also not sure. It can clearly be used to show your location on a chart, or display a chart, without a cell signal. This assumes the device has a gps receiver, which is entirely different from a cell receiver. They are often bundled in tablet devices, so they may appear to be the same thing. When bundled, however, you don't even need to subscribe to cell service, for the gps receiver to function just fine. At best, a cell signal allows the gps receiver to make initial gps contact quicker, as it knows better which satellites to start looking for, based on general cell tower location. Once locked, zero difference.

Reactions: Junwe

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
I will write this again for the umpteenth time.

A sailor most basic need is to see where his boat is on a chart which shows soundings and bottom obstructions and aids to navigation and of course shorelines. The MOST useful tool of these charting devices such as navionics when underway are the HEADING and COURSE lines, Next most useful are currents.

You can plan a route BEFORE you are sailing... and follow it. In a small boat sailing short handed you don't want to be fiddling around with a plotter. A glance at instruments informs your sailing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
you do need a cell or wifi connection to download the charts. You should download the charts before you head out.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
It's a pretty straight forward route. If you have charts on your 78s and can plug in the few waypoints that you'll need, other than that, you won't need much more than your eyes and ears. a pair of Binoculars help. I have a Garmin Plotter, and a multitude of apps on my phone and tablet. But, I have most of my LIS routes plugged in to my 20 year old + Garmin 78sx , it's my old reliable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Barry, i'm stoked, can't wait to sail west to nyc, i imagine the app will help me whilst on the helm, it's just me. i have a 10ft. charging cord that can plug into USB ports on the solar panels, keeping mobile charged. i don't really use electric on board 3 panels 25w is enough to use an inverter to plug my notebook and the panels charge mobile. i wish to thank everyone for their suggestions
As best I recall, the only navigation feature that requires internet access is auto-routing and I'm not 100% sure that's even true. Perhaps to get harbor and shoreside data too, but also not sure. It can clearly be used to show your location on a chart, or display a chart, without a cell signal. This assumes the device has a gps receiver, which is entirely different from a cell receiver. They are often bundled in tablet devices, so they may appear to be the same thing. When bundled, however, you don't even need to subscribe to cell service, for the gps receiver to function just fine. At best, a cell signal allows the gps receiver to make initial gps contact quicker, as it knows better which satellites to start looking for, based on general cell tower location. Once locked, zero difference.

A sailor most basic need is to see where his boat is on a chart which shows soundings and bottom obstructions and aids to navigation and of course shorelines. The MOST useful tool of these charting devices such as navionics when underway are the HEADING and COURSE lines, Next most useful are currents.

You can plan a route BEFORE you are sailing... and follow it. In a small boat sailing short handed you don't want to be fiddling around with a plotter. A glance at instruments informs your sailing.
No doubt, i prefer plotting b4 the sail and use paper charts as well as downloaded noaa charts, i just want to go deep and head west to city island, prefer anchoring to finding a joint to dock, after leaving river to get on the Sound it is all west from there, it will be my first long distance on the Catalina 30 and i have now connected with a lookout, not a sailor but a well informed fisherman, if the winds are good we can do the sail with help from the atomic 4 in one day, more than likely because i can only get off the river on a spring tide we'll be doing it this coming Tuesday around noon

No doubt, i have a lookout and he's familiar with the Sound but never sailed. i am less anxious now, i plot with paper charts and downloaded noaa charts, i want to get on the Sound and head west to city island, because we're leaving 30 March around noon, need the spring tide where she is now, very shallow river. Because of the late start i think anchoring that night then around 7am head west, winds and forecast appears to be good for sailing, the marina in city island has deep slips, appropriate for the boat with 6ft draft. To avoid grounding or crashing will sail on the ny/ct boundary, far enough from shore, i don't want a joint to dock at, anchoring is what i prefer, she's a heavy boat, thanks for sharing knowledge, wishing everyone fair winds and following seas

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have found more than adequate cell service traveling the length of the Sound. What you need for navigation doesn't really require the cell service anyway, as long as you download the charts while on a good connection. In planning your trip, pay close attention to the currents, especially as you get close to NYC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because i have to be off this river at spring tide i will be leaving tomorrow around noon, hoping i can get as far as Norwalk before dark but will sail through the night because now forecast for Wednesday is rain and possible thunderstorms. i imagine using the motor will be best if it does rain, i don't want to rush but nature is the authority when you sail. i'm scared the more i think of it, will sleep early and hopefully i'll make it, thanks for the tips, have a fantastic season

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It went south, literally, presently Windslip is docked in a bad location. Left Tuesday 30 March just before noon, the lookout was ill prepared and the Sound was rough, the poor communication with lookout convinced me to use engine and by nightfall anchored south of Bridgeport, CT. Lookout failed to heed my request in regards to what he should've brought with him. i strongly suggested he bring rain gear, a nav aids booklet i had given him the weekend before cast off and 2 gallons of water. He's a good person. He knows the Sound because he fishes there and told me he could be my lookout. First night seasickness weakened him and following morning i decided it was best to use engine, wind was coming from the NW and high seas. Him being in the cabin puking made it clear that i needed to find port, let him go and then sail. 31 March anchored closer to Long island. Don't mind taking my time but he wasn't helping and i felt that was more dangerous than the elements. Anchored early and in the morning realised anchor was caught and i needed to start engine and try to get in a better position. i needed him to raise anchor while i was on helm, asked him to use his arms to indicate where the line was so i wouldn't be over it and risk it winding up on prop. He couldn't and it was choppy with high seas, i only had that danforth, didn't want to cut the line but he couldn't do anything so i had him cut it and then tried to get to nearest port/marina to get 2 anchors and let him go. Without the anchor i wanted to quickly get somewhere when a couple of hours into the wind the engine shuts down, has fuel, checked oil and level is full, batteries are charged but tried to start and it wouldn't even try to start, no cranking, nothing, forget about it. Floating and drifting closer to long island i used 20 feet of chain and a bucket with a 100ft. line i bought at Harbor Freight for tying the main as an temporary anchor. At this time we had drifted closer to shore and i raised the main to try to get to the middle of the Sound and work on the engine. Asked him to watch and let me know if we were drifting closer to the green can. When i went up not only had we drifted but we were closer to shore, he didn't seem to have his wits about him and i knew we couldn't get anywhere at this time. The pseudo anchor didn't prevent us drifting but it appeared to hold us about 200yds from shore. The radio, lights were not working when Suffolk police calls me on the mobile and asks if we're alright. Let them know what was happening and they decided it to come rescue us and leave Windslip. Little after an hour we were still in the same spot when Coast Guard calls and tells me that they can tow us to a nearby dock. Presently en route to the dock. The boat was swamped whilst being towed. Lookout stayed in cabin during tow, i was at the bow keeping an eye on the tow lines. i imagined he would've closed the hatch but he didn't and i didn't ask why. Everything was swamped in the cabin and the engine is positioned beneath the companion way hatch and it didn't occur to him to cover it. Connections came loose and bilge pump couldn't do what it should. The tow did damage the stanchions portside but the worst is the engine failing and lack of anchor. Might call Boat US to tow it to city island then work on it. i've learned from this but am still stressed and upset with myself for having made poor decisions.

·
Registered
23,712 Posts
That story hurt. The NW winds last weekend were gale force out here. Assume similar in LIS.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ouch. That was painful to read. I was concerned when I saw the weather. Early spring can be nasty.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
This is a sad story and a perfect illustration of CASCADING failures.... and they can lead to catastrophic consequences. Junwe survived to tell this sad story. I hope he can get the boat back together.

There are lessons here and for me reading his account the MAIN one was not having suitable crew.

Second lesson seems to be that you don't sail into nasty condition on LIS and should wait... for fair winds aft of the beam. Seas can be very nasty in LIS.

Third lesson is a single seasick crew may be worse than no crew at all. Don't take crew who get seasick into LIS nasty conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for pointing out the lessons learned. i have yet to hear anything from the lookout, not even an apology for not being forthright with me before leaving. i blame myself but it never occurred to me that he would come along unprepared. i am going to work more on Windslip than sail this summer, it was somewhat difficult today trying to figure out the reason the engine won't crank up, i fix motorcycles but never an atomic 4, still haven't brought down the shredded jib because of the winds, will try Easter Sunday. It's bizarre how absolute strangers have cared more than the lookout, not even a text showing any interest.
At Mt. Sinai with shredded jib. Life is good but at one point i wanted to just go down with her, after he was off the boat,of course. USCG didn't give me a choice. Will take on the linguineed genoa, later today, Happy Easter! :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i am going to work more on Windslip than sail this summer, it was somewhat difficult today trying to figure out the reason the engine won't crank up, i fix motorcycles but never an atomic 4
Glad you made it both out and the boat is still floating.

Some encouragement: if you know anything about motor cycles, you are WAY ahead regarding your A-4. A few weeks into buying my boat, the motor broke down in what turned out to be blown head gasket (my fault, other story). I had essentially no experience with motors but I had a buddy who was a biker. He knew well more than was necessary to work on such a simple machine as is an Atomic 4. Together we took the thing apart (I still remember the awe I felt when I saw the pistons the first time -- had heard about such things in driver's ed and seen them in schematics but never in realy life) and we fixed it.

That will be twenty years ago in a few months, and the head gasket we put in is still going strong. By now I learned quite a bit about the motor, mostly from Moyer's forum members (and Don himself). If you have any question about it, they are extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic to help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, thank you, because of the holiday have gotten some free advice from local mechanics but am having difficulty locating a switch that is supposed to be beneath galley sink, concerned i might make it worse i'm expecting a mechanic Monday morning, the problem is the dock USCG used is in Ralph's fishing Station and is being worked on so they want me gone. They're not open for business, trying to find nearby yard to haul her out and inspect prop and rudder, USCG towing line at one point was caught on keel and i suspect there might be damage there too. How to test if pistons are seized on the A4? i still believe it's electrical, found a couple of wires disconnected and previous owner mentioned the same happened to him and it was the ignition wiring, she's 45 yrs. old. Need to bring her to a yard she can stay in for a couple of days, thanks for looking out, Happy Easter

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yes, thank you, because of the holiday have gotten some free advice from local mechanics but am having difficulty locating a switch that is supposed to be beneath galley sink, concerned i might make it worse i'm expecting a mechanic Monday morning, the problem is the dock USCG used is in Ralph's fishing Station and is being worked on so they want me gone. They're not open for business, trying to find nearby yard to haul her out and inspect prop and rudder, USCG towing line at one point was caught on keel and i suspect there might be damage there too. How to test if pistons are seized on the A4? i still believe it's electrical, found a couple of wires disconnected and previous owner mentioned the same happened to him and it was the ignition wiring, she's 45 yrs. old. Need to bring her to a yard she can stay in for a couple of days, thanks for looking out, Happy Easter
Go to Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin, they will point you to very systematic step-by-step procedures to determine whether it is ignition or fuel supply or compression. These are pretty much the only things that can go wrong. Since the motor used to run, it is highly unlikely it has to do with the pistons.

Happy Easter!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts