SailNet Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Don't think there is much of a service yard there at Mt Sinai. Can you move to a mooring temporarily? Pt Jeff is closest harbor with some decent services. I believe BarryL who posts here keeps his boat in Mt Sinai. He may be able to help.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hello,

oldmans yard is in Mt. Sinai. They are just east of the yacht club. From west to east us Ralph’s fishing station, the Mt Sinai yacht, club, and then oldmans. Oldmans has a travel lift, mechanics, and everything you need.

Let me know if you need any help. Oldmans and Ralphs both have moorings available as well.

Barry

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can also check with Old Lyme Marina, Old Lyme Ct +1 (860) 434-1272 They use to be the local go to in this area for anything A4 related. Its been several yrs since I had an Atomic A4 but give them a call.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
OT... I am going to do some mobile use as I motor from Stamford to Norwalk to get the bottom done.

Any recommendations for bottom paint? I have been using Trinidad and I find it not effective and use divers to keep the bottom clean.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Any recommendations for bottom paint? I have been using Trinidad and I find it not effective and use divers to keep the bottom clean.
I used Trinidad for years. I switched to Pettit Horizon ablative to avoid the buidup as Trinidad is a hard paint. I believe Horizon is NLA, but the Pettit Ultima SR 40 and 60 paints are still available. Actually the Ultima paints were marketed by Pettit as a step up from Horizon.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Maintaining the bottom
If there is build up... ablating is not going to strip it off. Ablating as I understand it works by top layer/interface with the water sloughing off so a more "active" paint is now the exposed layer interface. So bottom scrubbing which is required from build up would perhaps remove too much paint?????? If so a hard paint might make more sense.

I have found that a boat that is sitting still for multiple days a week where I have been moored leads to nasty fouling. And I have to leave the boat "still" for most of the week.

My approach to the dink fouling issue is to not leave it in the water for more than a few hours... and have it hoisted out with a halyard at the mooring. Another dink approach is to store it on top of an floating air mattress. But getting it on and off become yet another time waster hassle.

This year I will be using a launch to get to and from moored boat where the dink will be hoisted along side.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You wanted a recommendation on bottom paints for LIS. I gave you mine. I have kept my boats on a mooring in Glen Cove for the last 40+ years. I am not going to get into a pissing contest about it with you. Take it. Or not.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
You wanted a recommendation on bottom paints for LIS. I gave you mine. I have kept my boats on a mooring in Glen Cove for the last 40+ years. I am not going to get into a pissing contest about it with you. Take it. Or not.
thank you for the recco... I have been using Trinidad and it seems to not work too well. There are different Trinis... maybe it's time to try a different one. My comment about diver scraping was that racers use hard paint and scrape frequently... so I thought scraping ablatives would not be a great idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The starter is shot, the wiring harness is shot. Having starter rebuilt, fixed wiring harness. Is anyone familiar with what type of jib would be ideal for the Catalina 30 tall rig? i had a 150% genoa, big sail, could i use a smaller jib? Would it have to be 37' luff? Could i use a Catalina 25 tall rig jib? i'm in need of a jib but prefer one smaller than the 150 genoa that came with Windslip. My knowledge of sails is nil. On my o'day 25 i just used the sails it came with and never learned what size these were. i need a jib that can be used with the furler on the Catalina 30. Hoping i can start sailing before summer's end. Sails aren't inexpensive so i have to save for at least 3 mos. Windslip's portside rail and stanchions were damaged during tow from USCG to Mt. Sinai. Hole on the deck now, have to fix that. Thanks for tips

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
A used sail might be your best bet to use this season to get you on the water. Luckily the Cat 30 is very popular so chances of finding something that will fit is good. In addition to the size, look at the luff tape size and side the sun cover is on to avoid having to have a loft make changes.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
So.... I motored Shiva from Stamford to Norwalk Cove marine for her bottom work. Weather was perfect... for motoring.. too light to sail... and too much work. All systems worked... BUT... New phone which replaced the one that bricked last week required re entering passwords etc so Navionics took a bit to get it going, The Ray C80 which repeats GPS data in the cockpit at first was not repeating... but it was plotting... I turned it off and restarted and the repeater worked. I simply used the phone w/ Navionics and visual navigation for the 11nm trip.

I did a quickie repair of a leak to one tube of the RIB... on Monday afternoon. I used a UV cured product call Bondic... I did not have the time to put a patch on but inflated, launched the RIB and tied and left it at the dock. I will be back tomorrow to see how the Bondic worked. I will cover with a proper patch... finish removing some barnacle rings, paint the bottom and relaunch... then over to Cove Marine to do the prop and zinc if the boat has been hauled... maybe Friday...

Boat needs a good deck wash, teak cleaned.. and an interior vacuuming.

Navionics is all you need for coastal navigation. Love it!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts