SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer my wife and I will be bringing our new boat from Mobjack Bay,Va. to Noank, Ct. We have never sailed south of Connecticut and this is mainly a delivery trip rather than a leisurely summer cruise. We have 10 days to reach our home port, or my wife will have to go to shore and take the bus/train to be back for work. We are not planning on sailing at night. Any recommendations on an efficient route with some pleasant stops would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gladrags,

Our boat is an Alberg 37 with a mast height of 48' 6". We aren't comfortable with going from Cape May to Block Island since this will be the first time that we are sailing her together and we have never done an overnight trip. I brought her up from Charleston SC to Mobjack bay in December, but that was a no nonsense motoring trip - it was the week before Christmas and pretty damned cold!

When you have the time, any other suggestions as far as anchorages or marinas would be great :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we came up the ICW. Left Charleston on 12/12 and arrived in Mathews, Va. on 12/20, just before the boatyard was closing up for the Christmas holiday! Stopped at Georgetown, Calabash Creek, Wrightsville Beach, Moorehead City, Belhaven, Coinjock and Norfolk.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some good advice and information.We have a fair amount of experience dealing with currents in Fishers Island Sound.
I'll let you know how we make out !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, from Mobjack, go to Solomon's Island, then Still Pond, then Cape May, perhaps waiting out the tidal current at Reedy Island. In nice weather, you could easily do an overnight to Cape May from Mobjack via the Northern Channel/Cape Charles. Check out my threads on Delmarva Circumnavigations here. Feel free to call me if you have any questions on the Chesapeake to Cape May portion of the trip at eight zero four seven four zero six four six four.

I second the recommendation of Eldridge's.
Jim, thanks for giving some other options. We will definitely check out your posts on Delmarva Circumnavigations. Thanks also for the phone number, I might take you up on that. Much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.