SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My new-to-me old boat came with a Optimus 45 stove in a Sea Swing gimbal like the one below.

After a very exciting attempt at lighting it, I realized that it has an alcohol burner on it and not a kerosene burner!

I would like to use kerosene for better heat and, honestly, because I like using kero pressure stoves. I have a basic butterfly "roarer" burner that should work fine in the Optimus/Sea Swing, but it is not a regulated burner (with the flame adjustment knob).

It seems like the regulated burners are very rare and expensive. I expect this will only get worse with time.

I have checked the following options off the list

1. Use it as an alcohol pressure stove (No, I just don't want to do this)
2. Locate a regulated Optimus/Primus kero burner (No, this costs as much as a complete MSR or modern Optimus stove)
3. Use the Roarer burner (No, I want to be able to shut off fuel to the burner for safety)
4. Purchase a new marine single-burner gimbaled kero stove. (No, these do no seem to exist, but if they did then #2 would probably seem inexpensive by comparison)

I am considering this:

5. Buy a MSR Dragonfly, MSR Whisperlight Universal, an Optimus Nova+, or a Primus Omnifuel stove and somehow retrofit it to the Sea Swing Gimbal that I have.

These new stoves are available everywhere, run on multiple liquid fuels and have spare parts kits available. It seems like the way to go.

Has anyone successfully marinized one of these new stoves?

Scott.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do you have an REI store near you? If so, I would de-mount the gimbal and take it with you, then see which cannister stove is the most readilly adaptable. On a camping trip last month, a buddy was using his new Jetboil, I liked it a lot!

·
3,506 Posts
The big concern with using an MSR type burner is having to use white gas or unleaded fuel.
I'd try to retrofit a kerosene fuel burner. Like an old primus or optimus with a pump up fuel tank.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The big concern with using an MSR type burner is having to use white gas or unleaded fuel.
The MSR dragonfly comes with a jet to run it on diesel/kerosene. I use mine for camping this way, and have also considered converting it to a gimbaled stove... however I can't think of a non-awkward way to mount the fuel tank.

I use mine often at anchor in the cockpit, but I sit there and babysit it the whole time, lifting the pot or pan if a big wave comes by.

·
3,506 Posts
The MSR dragonfly comes with a jet to run it on diesel/kerosene. I use mine for camping this way, and have also considered converting it to a gimbaled stove... however I can't think of a non-awkward way to mount the fuel tank.

I use mine often at anchor in the cockpit, but I sit there and babysit it the whole time, lifting the pot or pan if a big wave comes by.
What about using a bicycle water bottle holder for the fuel tank? Gather it is an aluminum bottle/tank about the same size as a water bottle? Maybe a quick release/slide on/off mount for the bottle holder?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd be very reluctant to put a Whisperlight on a sailboat. It's pretty easy to overprime them and have a little more flame than you bargained for. No big deal outdoors but it would be exciting in a boat. I bet it would be easier to retrofit a simple propane canister backpacking stove to your gimball.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply, Danvon.

After looking at new production stoves again, I have crossed the whisper light off the list. I am now thinking that the Primus Omnifuel would be the best 'new stove' option. Since it has an 'at the burner' flame adjustment, I should be able to avoid the overprime/underprime issue.

Plus it runs on all these fuels: 'LP gas, gasoline/petrol, diesel and kerosene – even aviation fuel.'

I expect diesel would be unpleasant indoors and the idea of using gasoline down below give me chills. But I could choose between Kero if I want to bring a lot of fuel with me, or small LP gas cylinders that are stored above deck for quick, hot, clean cooking.

Scott.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi aeventyr60,

Thank you for the reply.

Do you know where I can buy a regulated kero burner for my primus stove or a complete stove that includes a regulated burner?

The last place that seemed to have them available was A&H:

Patria : A & H Enterprises, A & H Enterprises is the only North American service center for Optimus and Svea stoves.

The burners were $115.00 and they have been out of stock for some time now. I have seen complete Primus Omnifuel stoves with the fuel bottle and all this: 'The ErgoPump, the multi-tool with an integrated cleaning needle, nylon stuff sack and the windscreen and heat reflector are included.' for as low as $91.35.

If I can get a working regulated kero burner for $115.00 I will consider it, but so far I have not had any luck.

I have a roarer burner that I will use if nothing else works.

Scott.

·
3,506 Posts
With the advent of the modern msr type stoves the kero stoves are going the way of paper charts. maybe a garage sale, used outdoor equipment shops and a hard search on ebay might help. How much cooking will you do this stove? If it's just for emergencies, then the fat green Coleman Lpg cylinders may be a better choice dollar wise.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Please be aware that the MSRs have an issue with the fuel lines. I believe it was a "Whisper-lite" that a friend had two or three of...all replaced by MSR; until one self-destructed on a camping trip.
If you think spilled and pressurized fuel are a hazard; imagine what burning magnesium/alloy can do! :eek:
I watched as parts of the stove lit of and flashed into a blinding glare in a matter of a few seconds. If my friend hadn;t pulled it off of the picnic table as soon as it 's fuel went 'off'; we'd a been paying Ozark Natl Forest a huge bill for lighting the area on fire! ;)

"Be careful out there!"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fourth,
Good idea on avoiding the Whisperlight on the boat! I have 2 for mountaineering, but the learning curve was steep. I almost had my tent melted on me by a neighbor who over-primed his stove, then threw it out of his vestibule, slinging flames along with it...
MSR had problems with their fuel line crimps as well, but that should be rectified by now. You may be able to adapt a butane stove to fit the gimbal. Check REI or EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) websites for something that might work.
Good Luck,
Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts