SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning all!

I’ve been thinking about changing how my boat is moored to my dock. It’s a fixed wharf in a well-protected marina with little wave action and minimal current. There is wind, of course. The max tide range is about 4 ft.

Currently, the lines are led to the top of the dock. I’ve only been there the latter part of last season. I checked the boat nearly every day, and josseled it around a fait bit every visit to ensure there wouldn’t be any hang-ups. But alas, one faithful day my anchor hooked in and the tied dropped. The pulpit did get bent up, and I’ve since straightened it up, so there’s no permanent damage thankfully.

To avoid this in the future, I’m thinking about a new system. I’m thinking about bolting two vertical pipes to the side of the dock so I can tie the boat in closer with a healthy number of fenders. One aft, one forward. The pipes would be far away from the maximum beam as to not interfere with the boat. The pipes would only need to stand off from the wharf an inch or so, just enough to get a rope around it and tie with a loose figure 8 knot or something so they can still slide. The ropes would slide with the tide keeping my boat secure and close at all levels.

Now, I haven’t seen this before in person, and I’ve come across similar things on google, but nothing overly popular. This leads me to believe there’s a reason I shouldn’t do this. Something I’m not understanding. Has anyone thought of this before?

I’ve attached a few photos of the dock, boat damage, closest example to what I can find (I don’t plan on doing the roller cleat thing), and a simple rendering of my idea. Thoughts?

Thanking in advance any replies,
Trevor

Attachments

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Done something similar. It's only as strong as the lag screws holding on the pipe. I made a floating ring big hawser around the whole piling (12 ft of tide.) Spring lines work better from a midship cleat

·
Master Mariner
9,208 Posts
I would put the boat in stern first and use two spring lines, one led aft and the other led forward, to keep her centered on the dock. Bow and stern lines slightly loose at low water. Spring lines are the key.

Reactions: scubadoo

·
Registered
1,853 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all!

A friend of mine has suggested the system is too complicated for a 4 foot tide. He's suggesting just a couple of eye bolts where the deck meets the dock at mean water line. That way I've only got 2 feet of travel up or down to worry about. I won't be able to have it as tight as I would with the proposed system, but it should be better than what is currently there. Thoughts?

Trevor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.