SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen

I am looking to purchase a certain boat that is double what my budget is but I found one within the budget but surveyor found moisture in the hull...

Boat year 92

Would i be asking for trouble if i were to purchase this boat?

Is this a huge cost?

Thanks much

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Moisture in the hull is a bigger issue to me than moisture in the deck. How bad is it? Lots of delamination or small osmotic blisters? I'm assuming you're talking about a cored hull, correct?

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Really depends on the boat. If it has a solid core and it is localized it could be blisters or de-lamination. If it is cored it could be we core. If you are going to pay someone to fix blisters or wet core you are talking about 10's of thousands depending on size of boat and extent. If you do it yourself it may be a few thousand in materials, but a LOT of time with a grinder and very unpleasant work. If that does not scare you then go for it. For me if it brought a boat I really wanted into my price range I would do it, if I had a place to do the work. yard fees are rather high, and many won't let you grind on your own hull as there are clean harbor rules and other environmental issues.

Give us more details on the boat, and we may be able to give better advice. Big difference between half price on a 25 foot trailer sailor, and a 60 foot swan.

Keep in mind that annual maintenance will be a lot of money so don't spend yourself into the poor house on the boat and not be able to keep the boat in good shape. Better to get a small boat that you can afford to maintain.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
What did you surveyor say? It's really not that bad or...run?
My first boat had a really bad delamination area on the deck that our surveyor found. We went ahead with the purchase anyway. That was 20 years ago, we had the boat for 4 years and sold it to one of our marina neighbors. Boat is still at the marina and no one has crashed thru the deck yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts