SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,341 Posts
Reaction score
I have asthma and had to thoroughly de-mold all areas of the inside cabin and outside on the deck as you'll bring in mold spores inside with Lysol/vinegar. I removed all cushions that had any mold spores and made either new cushions/covers or sterilized any cushions I did not buy new... I then reupholstered all fabric coverings... clean, clean clean is what you need to do... it may have smelled like a hospital but I never had a problem sleeping on the boat. Dehumidifiers work great and I used a fan to run air out of the cabin and get cabin air flow thru. When out of the boat for over a week I took all the cushions and stood them upright with a gap between them to allow air flow (fan still on)... molds love moisture and dark humid places.

· Registered
1,341 Posts
Reaction score
Try as you might you can't wipe the mildew/mold spores off foam...

My method and you can read it in a prior post somewhere... for the cushions I did not replace I took the covers off and inserted the foam into a large bin with a cover and added Clorox/Lysol, full strength vinegar, and water to cover the foam entirely for 5 days (less days if you need the cushions sooner). After this I wringed the foam with fresh water several times and allowed to dry in the sun as that too will kill any leftover molds (UV sterilization)... I then used the old covers patterns for the new covers... the entire effort made the boat's interior smell fresh and new... it has yet to have a mildew/boat smell... adding the extra fans/humidifier has helped immensely to keep the cabin dry and smelling great. I also insure any condensation or water intrusion from outside sources are thoroughly dried up and disposed of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.