SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So, in my washdown ritual after taking Jendai out this weekend, I noticed that I'm starting to get green slime mold in various crevices on my deck. I've also noticed that under my lines, small pins of black mold are forming. It almost looks like algae at times...and I'm extremely surprised to see it survive the mid-day Florida heat that we're getting nowadays. Although, it does rain near every evening too.

The boat is barely 6 months old, and I wash it nearly weekly right now with either OrPine boat soap or OrPine Wash + Wax (alternate between the two) so I'm really surprised to see the mold growth. Am I using the wrong cleaners?

I do have a bird problem and cleaning their droppings is a near daily task after I get home from work. Its not fun, but otherwise the berries they eat in the neighborhood stain which is much nastier.

In any case, I'm looking for advice on how to get rid of the mold without using a harsh chemical cleaner (Ammonia, Bleach, Soft-Scrub, Tilex...etc...)
as my wax/finish is still fairly nice. Has anyone used vinegar and if so, can expand on the results they get on deck (not interior).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've been battling this problem for 30 years. I use laundry soap with a scrub brush and/or a terry cloth rag. usually works, but sometimes I have to resort to BonAmi which is non-abrasive. If anyone has a better, easier solution, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case :) )

I thik this is just one of the many joys of boat ownership... along with slime and bafrnacles and dog hair in the bilge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just started using Oxi-Clean powder after a recommendation from ActiveCaptain.com. I'm very happy with the results. Prior to that I used SoftScrub for tough spots, which works, but I worry about the abrasives...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.