SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my sailboat once a year in the FL Keys. This year when I opened it up it had mold in my cabin. The previous 3 years I had none. What can I do to stop this.

lOCKNUT

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I use my sailboat once a year in the FL Keys. This year when I opened it up it had mold in my cabin. The previous 3 years I had none. What can I do to stop this.

lOCKNUT
Ah... Use it more often?

Reactions: zeehag

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,335 Posts
... or have me use it for you... :)

I'll be available in FL from January through March.

Reactions: jimgo

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
I don't know if a solar vent could keep up with Florida humidity if you're going to open up the boat so infrequently, but one or two vents and a dehumidifier might help.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
I don't know if a solar vent could keep up with Florida humidity if you're going to open up the boat so infrequently, but one or two vents and a dehumidifier might help.
The suggestion of a dehumidifier, operated periodically each day via a timer and drained through a sink drain perhaps, is a good one. Note however, that one must be careful with the type dehumidifier selected. See (click on) an earlier thread on the subject at FYI Dehumidifier Recall

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The suggestion of a dehumidifier, operated periodically each day via a timer and drained through a sink drain perhaps, is a good one. Note however, that one must be careful with the type dehumidifier selected. See (click on) an earlier thread on the subject at FYI Dehumidifier Recall
Practical Sailor reviewed several small thermo electric dehumidifiers that worked well for starge (you don't need a full size unit for this). Possibly the best answer in FL, if ventilation isn't working. But that is a long time to leave a boat unattended with the power on, or unattended at all, for that matter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Notice the mold on the outside of homes in Florida. Even the sun does not kill the stuff. I have to scrub at least once a year. No different in my s/v. Even with dorades, I have to clean inside often. I do not have an electronic mold killer

Dot and John

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Notice the mold on the outside of homes in Florida. Even the sun does not kill the stuff. I have to scrub at least once a year. No different in my s/v. Even with dorades, I have to clean inside often. I do not have an electronic mold killer

Dot and John
Try Formula B in the link below. Cheap and very effective. Do NOT rinse it off; it is the diluted residue that does the work. Very effective on cloth and carpeted liners.

Not an old wives tale, we tested this head-to-head for a year against commercial products. However, I would leave out the TSP; works as well and is gentler in use. It is this non-TSP version we are continuing to test.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a mold problem ,installed solar vents , the type with the battery to run overnight and wiped the inside of the boat down with white vinegar . No problems since I'm in ozz so probably not as humid here . Do a google search on it ,wonderfully stuff but every time I get on board I feel like having fish and chips .

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Drew, I had trouble finding Formula B.
I had intended to include this link. I am sorry for the confusion:
One Penny Mildew Spray - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

This was tested side by side with Concrobium and is MORE effective than Concrobium.

Concrobium, by the way is effectively Formula A (same link).

-----

I really enjoyed that testing; coming up with something that was both really effective (Since I bought my boat I've had mildew in the carpeted head liner around a few windows that where too often leaked--bugs in the gaskets or kids leaving them cracked--and now it's been gone for over a year), cheap and that I could share. Really, just variations on home remidies, but with a little tweaking and testing. Concrobium is just an over priced, well marketed home remedy, In my estimation.

·
Registered
22,666 Posts
There are two distinct mold issues. Prevent it from growing in the first place and clean it up if it does.

Once you have a colony, the real trouble is cleaning it where you can not access. While you get the accessible, an active colony is nearly impossible to keep from re-igniting, as it were.

If you know you have a clean boat, the only effective effective way to keep mold away is to remove humidity. Even the surface sprays just can't be applied in every nook and cranny and mold doesn't care where is gets started. The hotter, more humid and darker the better.

In addition to dehumifiers, we use Kanberra gel liberally all year round now, which dissipates around the boat to prevent mold from getting hold. Of course, we have nothing near the humidity of Florida and in the winter, essential none. My peak concern is the Spring, when its rainy and beginning to warm up and the boat is still on the hard, under cover with no dehumification. We distribute Kanberra in the Fall, it actually freezes over the winter, which stops is dispersal, though it isn't needed at those temps anyway. When it thaws in the Spring, its ready to go just as its needed.

I do not think Kanberra alone would help on a boat that's closed up all but for one use per year, however. It only lasts a few months at a time anyway.

To step away from the forest, if I only used my boat once per year, I would sell it and rent instead.

Reactions: jimgo

·
Registered
32 Posts
here's another mold question. Both the Admiral and I wear our life jackets religiously, anyway this past summer they got wet in the cabin (leaky window) and now I have black mold on them. I have tried to clean them. I have used various household cleaners including a mild bleach solution to no avail. Any suggestions ? I don't want to go and buy two new ones as these are the self inflating type.
Anthony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts