SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out this fuel tank. 34 Morgan (monels were apparently standard) - I have also read that the tanks had sort of a greenish metallic look rather then straight steel which this does. Thoughts? - you can just barely see the tank. Thoughts on the engine would also be helpful.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Looks like a newer diesel was installed recently. those are nice boats worked for Charlie when i was a kid, helped in commissioning of boats ( did a lot of cleaning and polishing ) what is it you are trying to figure out. the tank does have the color of Monel with surface corrosion. the copper in the metal turns blue green when exposed to salt

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,453 Posts
The engine is a Yanmar 3HM 30 which is a out of production 27 hp engine. and the tank appears to have a coating like galvanized steel, or lead coated copper. Monel generally looks like stainless steel. I have never seen Mone4l show signs of corrosion.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I replaced the Monel tank on my Pearson when it developed a leak in a soldered seam. Probably should have had the seam leak fixed on the 50 year old tank as Monel has a lifetime reputation. Replaced it with an aluminum tank as I was nervous about other seams leaking and it was a ***** to get in and out. The tank had a matt silver finish like old SS but there was a green tint to it and a few small green corrosion splotches on the surface.

Engine looks like a 3gm 30 but it's not. There are no compression releases and the fuel filter on the 3GM is smaller. Probably a later model judging by how clean it is. In any case would do everything I could to keep it running as it looks like a mechanical injection motor which is getting to be dinosaur technology but dead reliable.

Raced on an early IOR hotshot boat in the early days of the rule. Biggest competition were a couple of Morgan 34's. We could always beat them to the windward mark but lost ground on a reaching leg and DDW with a kite. Centerboard was a big plus on the lower Chesapeake.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Monel from back in the day of that boat would turn to a blue green patine over time. I believe they used higher copper alloy of hot rolled monel which was used to make sheet metal for forming. if galvanized steel it would rust and not turn green could also be a copper tank with a coating turning green from the copper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts