SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let assume you just won a very big lottery (or are like a woman we met in South Africa who had just inherited 14 million pounds) and you want to buy a boat for extended cruising for a couple. It does not matter how much it costs, you can get major work done in a yard, but you have to be able to keep things going yourself in places where there are no yards (and there are many such places you want to visit). Since it is my game I will add one proviso. You don't want to have professional crew. Indicate the boat and size range.

I will start. If it is monohull, a shiny new Amel - quite liked these when we saw them and there are a lot of them being cruised seriously. Second place might be a Little Harbor in the mid-50 foot range that was completely redone in a first rate yard. The admiral would like a catamaran, but I don't know the nuances to even suggest which one. Probably about 48 to 50 feet.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I'd ask Bob Perry to design a 35-37 foot aluminium or carbon fiber cruiser for me. I know exactly what I want, but I don't think I could get it in any production boat.
This. I would throw money at Bob until he stopped telling me to "choose between compromises" Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Though I'd probably opt for Kevlar. Carbon in the water is too much of a galvanic issue.

MedSailor

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've pined for a Pogo 12.50 for a while. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be on extended cruise, but I'm willing to take that chance... given unlimited funds.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Just give me a nice SouthernCross 31, some good solid gear, and I am out of here.

I do not need (or want) the newest most fancy big boat I can get.. just something solid that will get through most anything the oceans can throw at it

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Size: 42 feet. Why 42 is the answer (check the hitchhikers guide for reference). Bigger, means I need help with things like the weight of sails, etc. Bigger will tempt me to put more stuff in it, and everything you put in breaks. No teak on deck. No Awlgrip, white gel coat. No paid crew, crew needs management, management is as job. Right, custom is the way. Everything is accessible...no buried machinery. I guess I'd need a genset and water maker as much as I hate the thought because they break. Selfish layout, aft cabin is my workshop, I need storage, not overnight guests. No thrusters, no in mast/boom furling, one power winch for the main halyard, fully battened bigger main with smaller jib for easy tacking, yea, I guess I'll take one air conditioner for noisy hot docks, yea I guess I'll want an Espar for going north because I don't like running the genset for reverse cycle heat.

All said and done, I'd have a long talk with the designer to see what I could do to make the boat comfortable, and simpler, and darn it, this is already to complicated:)

I had a LH in the size you're talking. Beautiful, but recommend you stay close to a boat yard, so wouldn't recommend it for this mission.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
I have a simple mind and simple desire just to sail to far away places. I don't need a tank to go from Point A to Point B. I am willing to wait for my weather window to depart. I don't need people to come by to tell me how sweet she is. I prefer to being low profile, mind my own business in my slip and always with a friendly smile.

Even I have a lot of money, I will settle for a production boat that can handle occasional rough sea. She should be simple enough to handle by myself. Low maintenance is a must. Synthetic wood is fine, plastic is good. IKEA look is fine. When I am done with sailing, easy to unload is a plus.

Too think of it, I am always fond of Moody. Their current model AC 41 is nice, the self tacking jib comes handy when I get too old. :D

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
I'd ask Bob Perry to design a 35-37 foot aluminium or carbon fiber cruiser for me. I know exactly what I want, but I don't think I could get it in any production boat.
Perry 59 | Sail Magazine

Perry is ready and Westerly Marine is waiting. It is only money, we can always print some more. LOL.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Mason 44.....43 Hans Christian Christina....and of course the 45.5 Bristol

I do like the Moodys also...only negative is that the door into the cabin/ head areas ssem to narrow ( or I am too robust)

Dave

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
First preference would be a motor boat... Nordhavn make one about 70 feet designed to be worked by a couple.

If its not allowed to be a motor boat then an Oyster about 65 feet.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
K+M Dystra designed lifting keel aluminum boat modified to my spec's
Nordhavn 63 ( if power allowed)
Wood/Kevlar/epoxy/s glass one off soft wing 60' schooner - go to Bob or Mills to design and NEB to build.
BUT pleased AS PUNCH with
My sweet, forgiving, fast gorgeous OUTBOUND. We customized for exactly this kind of sailing and so far she a dream come true. If had big bucks replace the Raymarine and add a Watt and Sea hydrogenerator. Also get rid of the insurance so would not need to report to anyone about my plans.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
First preference would be a motor boat... Nordhavn make one about 70 feet designed to be worked by a couple.

If its not allowed to be a motor boat then an Oyster about 65 feet.
Actually, I'm beginning to suspect that I'm really a closet power boater myself. Steve Dashew's FPB boats look awesome. I've even seen one in person. I'd spring for one of these and as long as it came full of fuel when I bought her, I wouldn't ever need to worry about recurring expenses.

Steve Dashew's new powerboats

MedSailor

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Since I play Powerball and MegaMillions regularly I have had ample time in offshore passages to consider this question. My answer is: none of the above. If I had a few million to spare I would fly first class to wherever I wanted to be. Then I would rent whatever was appropriate for that location - monohull, cat, canal barge, trawler, etc. If it broke I would call up the charter company and say come get it, call up the local aviation transportation company and say come pick us up.

I know, its not really in the spirit of your question but that is what I would do.

Fair winds and following seas :)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Must admit I rather like the Dashew power boats as well. Probably prefer one of them to a Nordhvn.

Still and all sail it is.

Mono hull .... no way I'd go over 50' which rules out a few lovely things but the Hans Dykstra Bestewind 50 really does it for me.

Multihull .... I'd have to seriously consider one of Chris White's designs.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Since I play Powerball and MegaMillions regularly I have had ample time in offshore passages to consider this question. My answer is: none of the above. If I had a few million to spare I would fly first class to wherever I wanted to be. Then I would rent whatever was appropriate for that location - monohull, cat, canal barge, trawler, etc. If it broke I would call up the charter company and say come get it, call up the local aviation transportation company and say come pick us up.
You are my hero. :laugher
I need to "order" my woman to start buying a lotto ticket from now on. LOL

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I forgot to mention Hallberg Rassey 48. Just as long as I have enough cash left over to rip out the Volvo and insert a Yanmar.

Having owned one I am seriously impressed with the build quality of Malo but in size larger than ours I'd prefer aft cabin so it would have to be HR.

Moving on to custom (or at least semi custom) build then there are still some Van de Stadts that I like. K&M who build the Dykstra designed Bestevaer also build a few VDS designs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts