SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Pacific Seacraft 34
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone -

We're stopped in Hilton head Island, SC replacing canvas and found the upper chain on our Monitor wind vane actuator shaft, which controls the position of the vane relative to the wind, has broken. We've ordered a new chain and spoken with Suzy at Scanmar, who forwarded directions for unfastening the lower end of the actuator shaft which is the main thing to do to get the replacement chain fitted, but I'm curious if anyone here has actually ever done this before? If you have, any input/suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
Pacific Seacraft 34
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not specifically, but assuming you are doing this while docked, rig a tarp or dingy underneath the monitor, just in case you drop a part or tool.
Oh yeah, we're docked, here for another month or so while canvas projects wrap up. We always do these in water projects with something beneath the work area - the dinghy, an umbrella, etc. I'm considering pulling the Monitor from the frame, if that's reasonably doable in the space i have to work, and replacing the chain on the dock. We shall see...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh yeah, we're docked, here for another month or so while canvas projects wrap up. We always do these in water projects with something beneath the work area - the dinghy, an umbrella, etc. I'm considering pulling the Monitor from the frame, if that's reasonably doable in the space i have to work, and replacing the chain on the dock. We shall see...
I don’t know what kind of boat you have (solid, cored, etc) , but if pulling the vane, double check the thru bolt holes carefully for any kind of problems from water ingress.

·
Registered
Pacific Seacraft 34
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know what kind of boat you have (solid, cored, etc) , but if pulling the vane, double check the thru bolt holes carefully for any kind of problems from water ingress.
Sound advice, but I should be able to pull the vane from the frame without uninstalling it from the boat. It's a Pacific Seacraft, so a solid hull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts