SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yes, I have done it with both RM and Pelagic on 2 different boats. One with an Aries and one with an auxillary rudder type system.

Our big boat is 44’ and 40,000 pounds. I made an adapter for the RM to the Aries. Later I mounted a Pelagic unit and had to change the adapter slightly.

I later moved the Pelagic to the small boat where I mounted it to a short tiller on the aux rudder wind vane.

Spring for the Pelagic if at all possible. Quality company is not not even close. And they sell adapters to Monitor and other wind vanes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have done it with both RM and Pelagic on 2 different boats. One with an Aries and one with an auxillary rudder type system.

Our big boat is 44’ and 40,000 pounds. I made an adapter for the RM to the Aries. Later I mounted a Pelagic unit and had to change the adapter slightly.

I later moved the Pelagic to the small boat where I mounted it to a short tiller on the aux rudder wind vane.

Spring for the Pelagic if at all possible. Quality company is not not even close. And they sell adapters to Monitor and other wind vanes.

==================================================
need to talk with Suzy at Scanmar see what the price is now.
I bought my Monitor as used and came with an old Pelagic unfortunately could not brought back to life and she recommended a new one that is significantly much improved.

·
Master Mariner
9,071 Posts
If you have an outboard rudder, a trim tab vane gear is the cheapest to build and the most reliable system available.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Davil
Your title is
Monitor winvane and tiller autopilot
And your post is
Has anybody tried to use a tiller autopilot to steer while underpower?

If you are simply asking,Has anybody tried to use a tiller autopilot to steer while underpower?
The answer is yes. It is very common because with the engine is running there is no battery drain.

If you are asking if a tiller pilot can be connected to a Monitor wind vane to steer while under power?
The answer is yes.
Here is how Troy of Free Range Sailing rigged his system.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This video is an answer with clear description on set up and use.
Need to review my set up as in my install the autopilot is mounted perpendicular to the [pendulum much like if was mounted on the cockpit attached to a tiller, he has it installed along the axis of the boat and the arm moves forward and backward.
Today have some projects to attend and then will mount and hopefully can post some pics.
I am very encouraged and hopeful.
Like to have as many backs up to systems and this seems to meet my expectations.
Excellent

·
Registered
36 Posts
Like to have as many backs up to systems and this seems to meet my expectations.

If it is back up systems that you desire, try sheet to tiller.
Takes a bit of farting about but when you get it organized it is a cheap thrill.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made this hook up couple of years ago based on a set up another boat in a marina I stopped but never used it,when activated I can see the rod pulling/pushing the pendulum weight and the the paddle changing directions,that works as desired.
Now, the biggy is when the autopilot is activated and not been a tiller where can anticipate the direction of the ruder, the question is if witch way the monitor will steer? or maybe is not an issue?
will need to take the boat out and try.

1619964959435.png
1619965398930.png
1619965428642.png
1619965476405.png
1619965398930.png
1619965428642.png
1619965476405.png

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If it is back up systems that you desire, try sheet to tiller.
Takes a bit of farting about but when you get it organized it is a cheap thrill.
=================================================
wheel no tiller
thanks

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A lot depends on how close the prop is to the vane rudder. If it is too close the prop wash will vibrate the self steering and/or force it to one side or the other. On our Westsail 32 couldn't make it work because of the prop wash would pretty violently shake the Aries rudder and in short order have it locked to one side.. Scanmar at one time did not recommend an autopilot connection under power because the shaking/vibration of the prop wash could work harden the vane and break the welds.

Before you put a lot of effort into designing the hookup or buying the tiller pilot take the boat out and try steering manually with the wind vane. On some boats it works and others it doesn't. On my Pearson 35 with a WindPilot Pacific Plus vane it would would fine. Haven't gotten around to hooking up an autopilot but can steer the boat with lines to pull the vane weight one way or the other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts