SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone interested in doing a flotilla to Nantucket in late July or early August? I'm thinking a child-friendly trip with raft-ups, beer, and new places to see. I picture starting in Montauk. We could pick a route that keeps us mostly near shore, hitting Newport and Martha's Vinyard along the way, and Martha's Vinyard and Block Island on the way back. We could plan other stops too if that's not coastal enough.

Plan on being time-flexible to allow waiting for weather windows. So whatever we initially choose for dates, we'd add-on a reserve of 2 or 3 days of partying and beach-going back in Montauk, that we can tap along the way as needed.

Also plan on helping each other out. We could stick together some, with faster boats circling the fleet. We'l take lots of pictures of each other's boats and exchange them afterward. I'll have internet access so we can all check weather forecasts and email. I'll also have some 12v or 110v for the more power-challenged boats. And Maria will pitch-in with her now sailnet-famous lasagna.

No illegal drugs of any kind.

Who's interested?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A possible goal is to leave on a Saturday morning, take 1 or 2 days to get to Nantucket, spend 2 or 3 nights there, take a day or to to get back, and 3 days (weather reserve) back in Montauk.

Has anybody done this sail before? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Me to

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Questions...

Our club cruise went from Stonington to Newport to Padanaram to Edgartown this summer. Legs this long were quite a hike for some of our participants. Nantucket is generally a pretty LONG RIDE. That is why we didn't go that far. It may be why the FUGAWI race leaves from Hyannis - it's about the closest reasonably decent mainland harbor to Nantucket. Going from Long Island, you could make Martha's Vineyard in a day, then Nantucket, but they'd both be pretty long days. The weather can mess you up, and the currents can slow a group of boats considerably. Getting there in a day or two is possible, but for a flotilla cruise it needs to be fun. From Montauk, you can get to Maine in three days, but they're 24-hour days. Your idea of coast- hopping sounds like much more fun, especially if any kids are involved. Having layover days en route, instead of saving them for the end, would give you more flexibility for the weather and provide time to relax, instead of having to get up at the crack of dawn to catch tide and wind, and then bake in the hot sun (or freeze in the cold wind) inevitably beating towards your destination all day with a grumpy, sleep-deprived crew.
Montauk, as a kickoff port, offers little deep water for sailboats. The sportfishing fleet that occupies most of the facilities is not likely eager to make too much room for "ragtops". Sag Harbor is lovely, but they may have room for only a few boats. Coeckles (sp?) Harbor may have more room, but has draft and "There's NOTHING TO DO, DAD!" issues. Greenport and Shelter Island are better on both those scores, but all these ports increase the distance to Nantucket. Perhaps starting from Block Island on a Sunday would allow people to congregate there on Saturday from a variety of places. From there, Vineyard Haven isn't too far, and then after a day perhaps, people would be ready to get to Nantucket. A day or two there (why go that far if you're not going to enjoy it?) and then back to Hyannis or Woods Hole? Then Cuttyhunk, Stonington (or Mystic? or Watch Hill?) There are many questions to resolve about any cruise. Now is a good time to ask them, and to work on answers for next season.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
paulk, Love the insights!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Our club is planning a cruise in roughly these areas at roughly the same time. There will be plenty of kids on this club cruise, and because I've drawn the short straw and am the organizer, I'm comfortable saying that if anyone on this board wants to tag along, you are welcome to do so. Here's our itinerary:

Congregate on Block Island on Sunday, July 12.
To Cuttyhunk on Monday, July 13.
To Edgartwon on Tuesday, July 14.
Layday in Edgartwon Wednesday, July 15.
To Nantucket Thursday, July 16.
Layday and end of formal cruise in Nantucket Friday, July 17.

Obviously this all is subject to weather, and it's quite possible that we don't make Nantucket if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Also, our club is based in Mamaroneck, NY, but we decided to have only a one week "official" cruise, and start it at BI. People most likely will be out longer, giving time to get there and home, but we feel that one week is long enough for officialdom.

We picked our harbors because they have a mix of anchorage, moorings and docks (people have preferences after all), things to do for kids and adults alike (beaches, fishing, restaurants, ice cream parlors, toy stores, movie theaters, bars), and the sailing to/from tends to be exquisite.

If you want to come along, you're welcome to do so. Likewise, Bene, if you want to coordinate a Sailnet cruise with ours, I'd be happy to participate in helping with the logistics.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I will have to work on it with the Admiral and potential crew, but it certainly sounds interesting. We start from Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, so we are quite close to the start line. As a stopover before Montauk, Three Mile Harbor would be pretty much on the way and a good place for people to stop. Its only about 15 nm to Montauk. Plenty of room for many boats, not much of a draft problem and a decent amount to do (lots if you go all the way into town, which requires a lift or a cab ride).

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
As a stopover before Montauk, Three Mile Harbor would be pretty much on the way and a good place for people to stop. Its only about 15 nm to Montauk. Plenty of room for many boats, not much of a draft problem and a decent amount to do ).
One of the reasons we did not even consider Three Mile Harbor is the shallow draft, lack of room for many boats (our cruise includes about 20-30 boats) and the lack of things to do. This gives you an idea of the range of perspectives that are possible! For example, Watch Hill RI is a neat town of pretty vacation homes or a tourist t-shirt trap for sunburned beachgoers and their squalling children. It has a beautifully protected harbor, or a constantly shifting, narrow and hazardous entrance channel. Checking things out for yourself now, from as many sources as possible, is better than finding out upon arrival.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figure Montauk is a good place to meet up. The lake is straightforward to get into if you follow the channel (which hugs the west shore very close in one spot). The anchoring is excellent. With 10 foot depth you get very good scope easily, and it's never crowded. There are a few yacht clubs to get a slip from. And the ocean beach is a short walk from the southern end of the lake. (Note they are very strict about holding tanks. Also, there's atime limit to how long you can anchor, whouch shouldn't be a problem for a meet-up-and-go.)

Daniel -- What your history with fog out at Nantucket in mud July? I know Montauk gets it's share in early July. Is it the same with Nantucket? That's the reason I was planning to do the trip a couple weeks later.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't profess to be the world's living authority on Nantucket, though I have sailed there several times. I can't say that I've found fog to be a serious problem. Don't get me wrong, you definitely can get fog there, but my experience is that Nantucket is no worse than MV or BI. Things that tend to freak people out about Nantucket is the distance, the shoals, and the open water nature of the trip. From my perspective, the shoals no longer are a serious issue with GPS/chartplotters. The distance is just a question of making sure you have the time (and that certainly is a real factor for most people with limited time on sailing vacations). The open water is no worse than going from the Race to BI or BI to MV (both of which are roughly the same distance from MV to Nantucket, and longer than the distance from Hyannis to Nantucket). I always thought, and continue to believe, that the trip to Nantucket is over-hyped. It's a great place, though not cheap, and well worth the trip.

Paulk, how can you say that Three Mile Harbor is shallow, no room to anchor and nothing to do? There was a low spot in the channel I agree, but it only comes into play at really low tide for deep draft boats. Moreover, I understand it has been dredged, but I don't know that from firsthand experience. As to anchoring, the harbor is huge (it's 3 miles in fact, in case the name hadn't given that away :) ), with great holding, and relatively easy places to go ashore by dink. The beaches are nice, there are a few restaurants and bars right at the harbor, and downtown East Hampton is a short cab ride away (you may or may not like that scene, but you can't say there's nothing to do). To each his own I guess, but I think Three Mile Harbor actually is a great spot for sailors.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't profess to be the world's living authority on Nantucket, though I have sailed there several times. I can't say that I've found fog to be a serious problem...
Did those trips include early July?

Regards

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did those trips include early July?

Regards
To be perfectly candid, I don't remember. I certainly have been to the Vineyard in early July, and if I had to guess I would say that we were in Nantucket the week after July 4 one year, but I can't give you a 100% on that.

FWIW, even there were a higher "risk" of fog (which I'm not sure I accept), I wouldn't let that stop me from going. Fog's not fun, but it's not a deal killer, in my view. Even if you stick to Montauk, BI, Newport, Cuttyhunk, etc., you're going to have to deal with fog every now and again. Besides, if you're willing to sail at night, then you shouldn't be unwilling to sail in fog (there's a difference I know, but they're comparable enough). Just my opinion.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My concern with fog is not the things that appear as a result of my boat speed.

My concern with fog is the things that appear out of it suddenly that are moving really fast.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You have to deal with fog even on the Great South Bay pretty offen ,it will be fine and just roll in from the ocean without any warning ;)

I have seen LI sound socked in from Block Island all the way back to Mamaroneck Ny for a solid 24 hours

And its way worse than any night sailing when you cant see 50 '

·
Registered
702 Posts
sounds like a great idea dont think the catalina 22 would make it that far.....would love to crew if anyone needs it on one of these summer trips

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bene505 - July and early August, we are in Vineyard Haven. Couple of personal observations to your questions/issues - 1/fog tends to leave the area by 1st week of July, BUT it can appear in the mornings right through the month, usually quitting the area in August, 2/Nantucket is 3 to 6 hours from Vineyard Haven depending upon tide and wind - it usually blows up from the SW in the afternoon when you reach the Nantucket Entrance Buoy - be prepared to reef, 3/Nantucket in the summer is crowded and expensive, 4/Block Island, Vineyard Haven, Hadley's Harbor on Naushon, Jamestown RI and Padenaram might make for good overnights, 5/Cuttyhunk would be good, too but remember that the weed in the outer harbor is very thick and requires a serious setting of the anchor.

Send me a PM with any other questions that you might have and I'd be happy to add whatever value I might be able to offer. Should this happen, please let us know and we'll try to meet the "Tour" at one or another of your waypoints. Good luck and this will make for fun winter planning.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Jim-

You forgot Tarpaulin Cove, on Nashuon Island's southern side. It's a good anchorage if the wind is out of the north at all.

·
Not just a member
111 Posts
I use to live in Montauk (Marina Manager) we saw maybe 3 sailboats a year anchor in the lake.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts