SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Montauk to Port Washington next weekend

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sailor25b 
#1 ·
November 15th and 16th -- planning to sail from Montauk to Port Washington.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to do this? I figure to sail during daylight hours (leave really early each morning), and stop over Saturday night along the Connecticut side of the Sound.

What's the best place to anchor for the night, that's not too far up a river or something? Maybe a place with a decent restaurant?

(Oh and if anyone wants to tag along and get some sailing time, let me know by private message. I'll buy the food.)

#2 ·
Not too many places that you can anchor and also have access to a restaurant. Anchoring choices would seem to be Westbrook/Duck Island and Milton/Charles Island. You can anchor and then dinghy into each for dinner ashore or pay for a slip at one of the marinas.

#3 ·
Can't speak to the CT side of the sound Bene...but Port Jeff is a good stopping point as well as an easy place to drop a hook or take a mooring and enjoy a choice of good restaurants within walking distance. Try to time your departure to take advantage of a floood tide at The Race and up the sound.

#4 ·
Thanks Cam excellent idea. I used to do a lot of spearfishing in the Race/Sluiceways/Fishers Island area when I was younger. It was no tanks, purely mask, fins and snorkel (and wetsuit, weightbelts, etc.) I clearly remember many times, when holding onto the bottom, my snorkle fluttering in the current and repeatedly slapping me in the head (bank bang bang bang).

When we went through the Race (the deep part) a couple months ago, there were awesome boils on the surface 100 feet across. Unnerving. The curent there is substantial.

For this trip, I'm thinking about going through Plum Gut. Never spearfished there, but been on a small powerboat when some else did. Lots of current there too.

Where is a good site to get information on the currents?

#6 ·
Bene - At the 'wrong' time the Plum Gut is like The Race on Steroids - with a close rocky lee shore, possible Ferry meeting ..... :eek: Just make it the 'right' time for a good short cut ;) My first time through it was all of the above that's the reason for the warning :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Thanks Christie. I will heed that advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.