SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Month 44 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Don L 
#1 ·
There is a tab page on the spreadsheet for “cost events” items that happened and resulted in higher costs each month along the way. Hint, they happen more often than you think!

Nothing like a pandemic lockdown to save money. Spent most of the month on a mooring in Vero Beach Fl doing almost nothing. This last week I am back on the move and currently in St Augustine for 2 days.

Did grocery, beer and supply runs as normal dollar wise, but tried to have “good” stuff.

Boat costs were low and other than new screens for the no-see-ums cannot even remember what else I got for the boat.

Fuel was gas for the dinghy and Honda and a propane refill.

Communications was cell phone plus a deposit return for an Island Wifi hot spot device for in the Bahamas.

Marina costs were an extra day on a mooring in Vero and for holding tank pump outs.

Medical was just monthly plan premium.

Transportation was a car rental and gas for a couple of days and a couple of Uber trips to store.

The total expenses were $1,776.41, an all-time low month. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1076.20
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 101.43
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 51.35
Dining and drinking out - $ 240.61
Entertainment - $ 20.97
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 87.04
Fees – $ -51.60
Marina - $ 34.96
Electric - $ 0
Medical - $ 58.70
Transportation and travel - $ 106.76
Gifts - $ 50
Water - $ 0
Registration - $ 0
Insurance - $ 0

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Time flies were you are locked up from the world

But i think this series is nearing the end as it isn't getting a lot of readers anymore.

#4 ·
A number of people have mentioned how money in the coffer seems to be increasing during the Pandemic. I know mine have but, I suspect part of it is because I had to cancel my annual trip to Key West and also our Bahamas charter. The mooring and bottom painting bills have yet to arrive also. Biggest expenses are Grocery delivery and Uber eats. Some Amazon items and Sailrite parts for the Sail cover project.

I spoke today to a friend who has been getting paid since the Lockdown and he notices the same thing even though he never lost his employment. But, he has a pretty sweet deal. Most of the employees are working from home. He only has to go in to New York one day a week for a midnight shift. Plus the company gives him a car service to drive him to and from work so he does not have to take mass transportation. He never realized how much time and money his commute use to cost him. Place is like ghost town now even during the day. He expects big changes once things settle down. If a buyout comes along he is out of there.

#10 ·
People have wrestling matches inside their own heads about what it will be for them
That is because it "depends" or "does not count X". At least that is the "useful" answer given to wannabes :grin:crying

#12 ·
For 2 weeks it has been a cheap month. Just food/drink and a cheap cost dock slip.

But then since i am going to be here a while I got a used car. It will be interesting to see if 7 months from now after selling it whether i will have spent more or less on Transportation.

#13 ·
But then since i am going to be here a while I got a used car. It will be interesting to see if 7 months from now after selling it whether i will have spent more or less on Transportation.
We have found that this makes sense if one needs to be in a place for so long. Particularly if you are using the time to do projects, or need to travel. I don't view it in strict money terms, similar to how I view a watermaker - the convenience and immediacy pays for itself in other terms than simply raw cost. We've even used a car as a storage locker for boat stuff that normally resides in areas we need to work in.

#16 ·
I decided to acturally go into my records for the transportation cost numbers. I expect to be here in this marina for 6 -7 months (unless I go more wanderlust crazy). This last 6 months of slips stays (in more than 1 location at once) transportation cost added up to $2666. So far I have $3613 spend on this $2700 used car once you add insurance and tile/regristration to it. So I should be able to sale it later cheap and easy and still be ahead. But of course there are lots of advantages to having a car over always needing to rent or be be resitricted to using pulbic transportation.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.