SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Month 46 Costs of Cruising and Living on the Boat

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SV Siren 
#1 ·
Just sitting in Jacksonville FL doing the "living" part of the thread title. We are staying here for the summer hot/hurricane season and hoping the world opens back up this Fall/Winter. It was fairly inexpensive to do the "living" part, but the doing boat repairs and upgrades (yes after 46 months we still are doing major upgrades) to prep to do the "cruise" part really adds up!

Grocery, beer, and supply runs, sundries, etc. for the month were "normal". I get comments on this about how others "eat" for less. This category is more than food. It basically is anything (haircuts, new sandals, gym memberships etc.) that don't fit into one of the other categories I long ago decided to have.

Boat costs were high! If you hope to cruise you have to repair, maintain, and constantly upgrade the boat. The BOAT has been the most expensive category this year! If I wasn't planning on moving along this category would have been around $180 this month. - A few months ago in the Bahamas an engine seawater flange cracked and started leaking. I got the only one in existence months ago, but finally got to replacing it as months ago when I started I could tell it was going to be a bigger job than expected. So that ended up with removing the HX/exhaust manifold and taking to machine shop to get broken bolts removed and by the time is was reinstalled was about $260 in needed "stuff". Got new foam for the settee cushions $146, a used Spectra watermaker $2750, a refrigerator unit to be able to separate my spillover system $450 (new unused but second hand).

Dining out and entertainment costs were low due to virus considerations.

Communication was cell phones with internet and data. Since we really use the phone more for video streaming Netflix etc. and as hotspot for internet, they are more entertainment than communication. But at the start I called it communications so are to going to continue that.

Marina cost was a month slip in Jacksonville ($307.29). Electric was $21.20 for all the power we want at the dock (air conditioning).

Medical was just monthly plan premium.

Transportation costs were gas for the car, tolls, and a credit for something I paid for last month that I got back.

The total expenses were $6,004.21. Cheap, to us, if you "not count" the boat upgrades. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers and spreadsheet attached (not because an Excel file isn't allowed anymore so if you what it send me a pm):

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1,355.84
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 3,732.38
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 8.80
Dining and drinking out - $ 87.80
Entertainment - $ 96.72
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 126.73
Fees - $ -32.20
Marina - $ 307.09
Electric - $ 21.20
Medical - $ 58.70
Transportation and travel - $ -21.75
Gifts - $ 0
Water - $ 0
Registration - $ 0
Insurance - $ 263

See less See more
#3 ·
They wonder how the poor and unknown live. But it always pretty much seems the answer is a secret.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.